Re: Doonesbury

Page 4 of 4

well taken.
On 2/18/2011 3:41 PM, Doug Miller wrote:

The rehabilitation back into society of felons, particularly, is just about last on the list of things I care about. There are far too many other people whose problems are not self-inflicted that deserve our compassion. As far as I am concerned, felons - particularly repeat offenders - should simply be stripped of their citizenship and sent off to a penal colony at the end of the Aleutians for the rest of their days - or, perhaps sent to Madison WI with the rest of the lunatics...
It is the job of government neither to punish nor rehabilitate. It is the job of government to minimize the risk and/or damage to the rest of us posed by felons and would-be felons.
"Tim Daneliuk" wrote in message

Given the number of felons America generates, this is a short-sighted policy on your part. At any time there are over two million people in prison in America, and sooner or later most of them get out which is why there are around eight million felons on the streets. So do you want them going back to their old ways, stealing your car or selling dope in your neighborhood and so on, or not?

Sure, but that doesn't mean we should ignore the problem of what happens to cons when they get out of jail.

Alas, there are these things called rights, some of which can't be stripped away. Dang Constitution, always getting in the way of productive medieval policies. Besides, too many Republicans in the Aleutians would probably cause environmental damage.

Actually it is, at least in civilized societies. You don't have to like it, and you can always start a political party and get elected and change the law, but that's how it stands today.

What, waste my tax dollars protecting you and your property? That's theft, that's what that is!
"Tim Daneliuk" wrote in message

I'm horrified at the thought of religion influencing government, and yet there are many members of a political party I could name who are willing to at least pretend that religion and law should be interchangeable. However, as I'm sure you know, my point was that someone who has sincerely reformed deserves the opportunity to rebuild his life and have all his rights restored after he gets out of jail and demonstrates over time that he can be trusted. It shouldn't be easy, but the path has to be open for someone who really wants to stay on the straight and narrow.
On 2/18/2011 6:27 PM, DGDevin wrote:

are many members of a political party I could name who are willing to at least pretend that religion and law should be interchangeable. However, as I'm sure you know, my point was that someone who has sincerely reformed deserves the opportunity to rebuild his life and have all his rights restored after he gets out of jail and demonstrates over time that he can be trusted. It shouldn't be easy, but the path has to be open for someone who really wants to stay on the straight and narrow. I still think there are people for whom there are to be NO path back. People whose violation of our social compact is so heinous that they never deserve a second chance. Among such crimes would include rape, murder, child predation, and listening to Lady Gaga ...
"Tim Daneliuk" wrote in message

Of course, I agree, I wasn't suggesting *all* felons should be able to get their rights back.
I wouldn't pay a dollar for Lady Gaga tickets and all her recordings thrown in. But I have to admit, after watching the profile of her on 60 Minutes last week I'm forced to admit there seems to be a keen mind behind that persona she's created. She making money too fast to count and yet keeping her private life, well, private. If she wants she'll be able to parlay that fame into just about whatever she wants to do too, she's in control of her career in a way a lot of previous pop-tarts have not been. I have no use for her music, but she seems to know what she's doing and has the world beating a path to her door on her terms.

Underhillite or Krenovian?

Gibbons
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/94/278365591_71ff1243e7.jpg
and/or the new kid, Esterly. http://davidesterly.com/imgs/01trophy.html
While traipsing through the eurotrash in my well-spent mis-spent youth, I saw a Gibbons carving that floored me. It was a game bird hung up on a peg, and there was a spider web starting to grow over the bird...and a fly on the spider web. I can't find a picture of it on the net - a virtual beer to anyone who can find it.

Smoking is a habit, not an addiction. I stopped dead at the end of 1975, after 20 years of 30-40 per day, and haven't had one since.

Some, like anything else, don't get addicted but those are in the minority. I smoked for many years then switched to Copenhagen for about ten years. Chewed at work and always found those that walked around spitting in a can disgusting. I swallowed it. When I quit, I had serious withdrawal symptoms.

I'm experiencing a serious gag reflex just thinking about swallowing chew/snuff fluid. R

I'm experiencing a serious gag reflex just thinking about swallowing chew/snuff fluid. ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Point is though that others around me didn't have to see it.

Oh, I understand your reasoning, but, man, talk about taking one for the team!
I only dabbled in chaw and snuff back in the day, and if any little bit of it went down the old gullet, I'd feel like I was going to puke. Do you remember if there was somebody around that you didn't want to offend the first time you, err, decided not to spit?

Oh, I understand your reasoning, but, man, talk about taking one for the team!
I only dabbled in chaw and snuff back in the day, and if any little bit of it went down the old gullet, I'd feel like I was going to puke. Do you remember if there was somebody around that you didn't want to offend the first time you, err, decided not to spit?
No, I just didn't want to look at it. I've always had a cast iron stomach. Never bothered me in the least.

Smoking is a habit while nicotine is an extremely addicting substance. I quit in '88 and haven't ever been stinky again. ;)
-- Happiness comes of the capacity to feel deeply, to enjoy simply, to think freely, to risk life, to be needed. -- Storm Jameson
"Bob Martin" wrote in message

There is massive medical evidence that it is indeed an addiction, with clear bio-chemical impact on the brain.

Some people are more susceptible to addiction than others, just as some people are more likely to have heart attacks or get cancer or lose their hair. I can think of a couple of friends who kicked addictions like drinking for a decade or more and then were drawn back into that self-destructive spiral, so it sure looks to me like for some people it isn't just a matter of willpower.

Lemme guess.... they were hanging with you at that time?

For YOU.

Lucky you.
DGDevin wrote:

Not necessarily.
When you're young, you go to the doctor when you get sick.
When you become old and decrepit, drooling and incontinent, you go to the doctor to keep from getting sick.