Re: Does anyone from england read this newsgroup?

"alan.holmes" wrote

This would be the perfect cue to make some sarcastic remarks about English reading skills.
But I have much more style and class than that. So I won't.
I should point out that it is poor form to post messages that have no text. Subject headers do not constitute clear internet communication.

Which would result in some suitably worded comments from this side of the pond!
However, I do agree with you that news posts without content are bad form.
--
Stuart Winsor

On Wed, 08 Oct 2008 19:54:45 +0100, Stuart wrote:

Thirded.
However, quite a few of us are here, what did you want.
I should maybe point out that none of us actually *do* any woodwork as timber and tools are extortionate over here compared to over 'there' :-(

Speak for yourself! Since I retired 10 years ago I have almost re-furnished my house. Mostly Croatian white oak (which is what the Royal Navy used to build its wooden ships). And I didn't spend a lot on tools- everything from Machine Mart.

Oh, a contact in the dockyard ?
--
Stuart Winsor

Good one ;-) Actually, the RN stopped building wooden warships a while before I was born. And no, I'm not nicking bits off HMS Victory (which is 5 miles away).

White oak, or Croatian white oak?
As we don't have red oak in the UK (rare ornamentals and that's your lot) and the evergreen oaks are a weird bunch in their own right, our two oaks are regularly known as "common" and "upland" oaks (stone oak, sessile, pedunculate and probably a few other names too) but they're rarely if ever called "white" oak. I've only ever heard the term used when talking with Americans, about American furniture or timber, or very recently in retail furniture shops with globalised catalogues.

Then how about pointing out that proper names should be capitalized?
In any case, I can qualify. I've been to England twice, therefore I'm from England.

My dad was born there, does that count?
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing

from
My grandparents were from there. Do I qualify?
Upscale wrote:

My people visited there a LOT starting in about the 8th century. Do I qualify?     ya sure,     jonnson

Viking invaders eh? You qualify *only if* your people engaged in the raping part of 'pillaging and raping'.
Upscale wrote:

My Viking family records clearly indicate that while our relatives indeed pillaged (to a Viking pillaging is like a mouse is to a cat). But raping did not happen, those young beautiful virgins clearly asked for it. Rod

Me too!