RE: Dishwashers

Sometime ago, somebody posted the following:

-------------------------------------------------- I have the top of the line KitchenAid and use Cascade Platinum detergent. I'll put my dishes and glassware up against any cleaning method you want. Oh, let's compare flatware too.

--------------------------------------------------- The following is part of a post made to my son that involves a major update they are doing to their kitchen which included a new dishwasher almost as an after thought.

---------------------------------------------------------------- As far as the dishwasher is concerned, will pass along the following.

Recently have had a rather vigorous discussion about dishwasher detergents and dishwashers.

Yes this was on a woodworking list. Lots of things get discussed there .

Decided to run my own tests.

Bought a container of P&G Cascade PLATINUM dishwasher detergent which was quite a shock to the pocket book compared to the generic brands available at the supermarket but Brian's salary has to come from someplace.

I wasn't impressed with the results.

The dishes including glasses still had residue, the flatware was a disaster.

Decided to modify the test by adding Finish JET DRY to the test.

MADE A MAJOR DIFFERENCE.

Residue on dishes, glasses and flatware was GONE.

First time I heard about JETDRY was in the dishwasher on Maureen and that was 50 years ago.

It was expensive and we were stretched to the limit just to get moved in, so quit using it.

In hind sight that was a probably a mistake.

BTW, JETDRY is no longer so expensive and I don't have as many dishes to wash so will probably continue to use it.

Take care,

Will await the pics.

Love ya.

Dad

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

We seldom rinse before putting plates in the DW. BTW we have only bought Whirlpool, near the top of the line, fot the past 25 years. Cascade powder and Jet Dry is all that we have used for 24 of those years. Recently switched to the packaged Cascade tablets with the liquids and stopped using Jet Dry.

Now we have filter stopping up problems. We will soon be going back to the powder and the Jet Dry. BTW what do you consider expensive for Jet Dry? I have never considered it expensive.

Reply to
Leon

-------------------------------------------- Frankly, can't remember the price but it didn't trip any high price flags when I bought it.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

-------------------------------------------- "Lew Hodgett" wrote:

--------------------------------------------- What I can remember was that way back then JET DRY was sold in small packages, 3 oz maybe 4 oz packages while now you can buy a 16 oz size(pint), which has had some impact on the retail price.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

They also have competition from another brand (Finish?). A bottle lasts a very long time so it is not a major cost per year.

As for the Cascade Platinum, I buy it at BJ's and it works out to less than 22¢ a load. The KitchenAid is over a year old now and I'm still amazed at how everything comes out sparkling clean, like brand new.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Leon wrote in news:2u2dnfBj- snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

We also have had nothing but Whirlpool and we also seldom rinse. Instead, we use the "Puppydog Pre-wash" cycle...

Reply to
Doug Miller

Design is more important than age. We were the type that threw in dishes less tooth picks and bones, anything else and it not a problem. We eventually replaced our 15 year old Whirlpool because the racks were deteriorating and plastic coating was becoming brittle and flaking off. The exposed wire frame rusted and left rust stains on white dishes at contact points. Since replacement racks were more than half the price of what we originally paid we bought new and went with Whirlpool again. We are now on our 3rd Whirlpool DW. IIRC KitchenAid is now owned by Whirlpool.

Reply to
Leon

Our Great Dane loves to review what goes into the dishwasher but we do not allow her to lick the dishes. Her head easily hovers way over the dining room table and we felt that she might feel that licking dishes on the table would be the next step. She can actually look down into the kitchen sink with all four feet on the floor.

Reply to
Leon

When I was a kid, we had an Irish Setter named Maggie. All plates went to the floor, and she did the pre-cleaning with great energy and efficiency. This bothered some friends, but nobody in the family was bothered.

Never had a problem with her grabbing things off the table. Not that we would leave her alone with so much temptation.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joe Gwinn

It's interesting that some people are bothered by dogs licking plates. Thes e same people wouldn't think twice about eating from a plate that was washe d after it held raw meat or a bowl that was washed after it held that mold y macaroni from the back of the fridge.

Do they think that dog saliva is somehow worse than raw meat juices? No, th ey don't think it is because they don't even think about it in that way. Th ey simply say "Yuck" and get all grossed out.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

They do lick they're ass, but as my sister the nurse said "A dog ass is cleaner than your mouth".

Reply to
Markem

Old joke about the Kentucky hillbilly who's relatives for what promised to be a lengthy visit. After dinner, one offered to help with the dishes. He said no thanks and whistled. 5 or 6 hounds came running in, jumped on the table, and licked the dishes clean. The relatives made their excuses and left.

Telling the story to a friend a few months later he said it took him a week to teach the dogs that trick and a month to break them of it, but it was well worth the effort :-).

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

This would not be an issue for Maggie.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joe Gwinn

hese same people wouldn't think twice about eating from a plate that was wa shed after it held raw meat or a bowl that was washed after it held that m oldy macaroni from the back of the fridge.

they don't think it is because they don't even think about it in that way. They simply say "Yuck" and get all grossed out.

Even if their ass was the nastiest place on earth, the fact remains that th e dishes (hopefully) aren't being put back in the cabinet after the dog lic ks them clean.

Raw meat, dog's ass, salmonella filled eggs, who cares? If the dishes are b eing properly washed before the next use, I really don't who or what was in them prior to the washing.

Some folks apparently do.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

DerbyDad03 wrote in news:ef61f836-4846-4cd6-8d3d- snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

[...]

We used to have an acquaintance -- note careful choice of words; "friend" isn't the right one -- who developed the habit of just "dropping by" at dinnertime. After three or four times of rearranging my meal planning to accomodate an unexpected visitor, I decided next time this person invites herself over for a meal, the dishes *will* go back in the cabinet after the dog licks them clean. Then into the dishwasher, of course, after she leaves.

Reply to
Doug Miller

"Mike Marlow" wrote in news:mj60ms$b8n$1@dont- email.me:

And there's some recent scientific evidence supporting the notion that doing so improves the owner's immune system.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Yeah I believe it has been proven that a dogs mouth is worse than the old wives tale indicate. Perhaps your sister was talking about a dogs ass is cleaner that what comes out of "your" mouth. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

"Lew Hodgett" was heard to mutter:

Magic Chef diswasher now 20 years old and still going. We don't run it everyday. Takes a couple days for two people to fill it up.

We use Electrosol Powerball tabs for years and works great. On occasion something may flip and get stuff in it requiring a re-clean but 98% of the time comes out clean and clear. Inexpensive too.

We don't pre-rinse, just scrape off. Once a year we run a cleaner thru the DW; comes out very clean and runs great.

People put pots, pans and such in their dishwasher but we do not. Used to and found it ruined coated pans fast and can warp plastics. I will not put in cultery sets, especially wood handled ones. Got some friends on their fourth set because they insist on putting everything in the DW. Their choice of course.

I could live without a DW but not without a washer/dryer. Winter cold affects me too much. I will never do a landromat if I can help it.

Interesting to see what everyone uses and how long the DW are lasting.

We replaced our fridge after 15 years due to frequent power outtages. Just had current one (4-5 years old) repaired. Evaporator fan failed.

Two days later and ice maker motor frozen. Won't call same repair shop. Took two trips to correctly diagnose and another three to get the part and replace. Only reason it went that fast is because I called to confirm the tech was coming out and apparently the shop had no clue and no part. They had tech make a special run to a different local disttributor to get the part as the ordered one hadn't arrived in the mail. Why ship if you can pick up and be done with it?

Oh and $196 for an adaptive defrost board is robbery. Glad that turned out NOT to be the bad part.

Reply to
Casper

Nope that was not it, she was talking bacteria. I have not had a foul mouth since 1979. If you believe that last bit.....

Reply to
Markem