Re: desk restoration

1) Unless is has moss growing on it you don't need to pressure wash it. Flood it with water, scrub with a push broom. Pressurewashers can tear up redwood if you are not careful.
2) Yes, it is grey. It is supposed to be that way.
3) Get a paint roller, an extension handle and roll on the sealer of your choice.
4) Shouldn't take more than a day to do it all (wash one weekend, seal the next)
5) Wouldn't you expect someone who is charging you $1000 to make derisory comments of any other solution?
-Jack

\>
I find that the veracity of information from estimators is aproximately the same as I get off the internet. Not all estimators are worthless uninformed slime, if that were so, their company would soon be bankrupt.
I think the product that estimator was referring too is TWP, Total Water Product, or some such thing. I recently stained a deck with it and it produced good results. 500 ft x 2 will need 5-8 gallons. What about rails?
I did not buy it, but the customer told me it is quite pricey. Assuming the estimate included materials, $1000 for 2 coats is probably not out of line in California for the work described. Does this include rails? Lots more labor. If so, I think you probably got a good price. They need to make money. You should get some more estimates w/referances.
Same customer had his redwood deck, rails and fences power washed. There were no ill effects and it did clean it up.
M Hamlin
I use a brush. I can really see the coverage and get some in the cracks. I like Cabot stuff, which got a good report from Consumers Report. Soak it in, maybe twice, but it might be slick when wet for a while. Wilson