Re: "Danish Oil" from scratch

On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 23:45:45 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@mindspring.com (David O) pixelated:

Wax usually precipitates out of it almost immediately. It sounds like you left it open and it got water in it.
If it's not too cloudy, test it on small piece of scrap and see if it dries correctly and dries hard.
If it precipitates out again, pour off the top layers and see if they work OK. Otherwise just toss it and start over.
------------------------------------------- Crapsman tools are their own punishment http://diversify.com Comprehensive Website Design =====================================================
On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 13:58:10 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@mindspring.com (David O) pixelated:

My head read "shellac" yesterday and I was thinking flakes. If you had mixed from flakes, the wax would have turned up as soon as the mixture had gone to solution.

You might have water from the opened can of varnish, the can of turpentine (the cheaper stuff invariably has water in it) or the combo of those plus a humid atmosphere.
That canned varnish could be bad. Try using straight varnish on a scrap and see if it dries. If not, dump it.
Better yet, get a can of Waterlox and don't look back. It's great stuff.
------------------------------------------- Crapsman tools are their own punishment http://diversify.com Comprehensive Website Design =====================================================
David O spaketh...

I haven't tried it, but I would be inclined to experiment with linseed oil, varnish and mineral spirits
--
McQualude

I use the same mix but with spar varnish and have never seen it become cloudy. Are you in a very humidity area? Is water from the atmosphere being incorporated inadvertently? I'm on the ocean so I flush the can mine is stored in with dry nitrogen or argon each time I open the can.
Phil
McQualude wrote:

I tried some of the Bloxygen, but at $10 a can it was too expensive. It worked great to prevent oxygen from curing the finish in a container, so I experimented with my propane torch (unlit of course) and found that it will generate an excellent oxygen blanket at a much cheaper price. I just stick the nozzle in the can, jar, whatever and open the valve momentarily.
--
Sawblade
(use SWBell to fix address)

will
stick
snipped-for-privacy@mindspring.com (David O) wrote:

Don't know about the white precipitate, but like others have said, put a drop on a piece of glass or sumthin and see if it dries hard in 24-48 hours.
Otherwise, your formula is very similar to what I use quite frequently. I've come to favoring VMP-Naptha over turpentine for the speedier evaporation qualities.
Mustabin the varnish, I opened the can to test it, as you suggest below, and the surface had already begun to congeal :-(
I'll try again with new varnish...thanx
On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 23:09:53 -0700, Fly-by-Night CC