Re: Damn Amazon

Page 1 of 2
I noticed the same thing the other day when searching for tools. Almost every single hit on google sent me to Amazon.com. When it comes to tools Amazon.com does have some deals, but you have to be careful. On Freud table saw blades I noticed that their prices are actually higher than at HD or Lowe's.
markm wrote:

Gosh. Keeping your money local. Now there's an idea for the 90's.
UA100
markm wrote:

You want to buy stuff, but you don't want it to be commercial? If it was not commercial, you could not buy stuff. -- Ed snipped-for-privacy@snet.net http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

Agreed. Frustrating. Also have had little benefit from asking Google to "-Amazon" from a query. Seems to me this is where niche engines like ToolSeeker would excel. I wish ToolSeeker covered more vendors.

No, I don't think so. They (Amazon) bought Tool Crib of the North a few years ago. Tools on Sale is the alter ego of Seven Corners Ace Hardware (St. Paul, MN), I believe.
LRod
Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999
http://www.woodbutcher.net
You're right. Confused the two. I remember Tools On Sale had a huge mail-order catalog with free shipping and good prices. They don't seem to have a web sales presence, though. Wonder why they never got into that.
--

- GRL

"It's good to want things."

Tools On Sale dropped the free shipping in the past few years. I have no idea how they compete in the mail order business without free shipping as their prices are pretty high.
They do have a web site that is mostly worthless. It was a little better before they redesigned it a year or so ago.
Brian Elfert
LRod wrote:

LRod is correct.
Has anyone done business with Tools On Sale/Seven Corners Ace Hardware lately? Once upon a time they ran a full page ad in every issue of Fine Wooddorking. Now I either don't see them/notice them or they've fallen by the wayside.
UA100

Not entirely. IIRC, Amazon only bought out the mail order part (or perhaps it was only the online part of their mail order business) of Tool Crib of the North. They didn't buy the stores, which are located in North Dakota, n'est-ce pas?
--
Jeff Thunder
The From: header above is wrong on porpoise
On Tue, 03 Feb 2004 15:27:39 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@luthien.comcast.net (Jeff Thunder) wrote:

I was aware of that, but I didn't include the details because I was trying to make the point that Amazon hadn't bought "Tools on Sale" and to correct who they (T-O-S) were.
LRod
Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999
http://www.woodbutcher.net
Agreed, I think UA100 makes a good point keep your money local. I live near a town on the edge of extinction and do my best to bring 'em business as much as I can. Whats even more disappointing is that IMLTHO I think a lot of those affiliates are whoring themselves in usenet when they can get away with it to direct you to a for sale site. I firmly believe in not recommending brand names when ever possible... Ever notice posts where not only do they recommend a Mcproduct but where you can buy it on the net and have it McShipped over night to you? Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of capitalism and have spent part of my life defending the free enterprise system. I just understand that soon your google searches with have tag lines like " do you want to supersize that Stanley No 5?
EJ
How do you "keep it local" when what you need/want isn't available?? Last time I checked, there weren't any Veritas low angle block planes. As a matter of fact when I wanted to get my Powermatic jointer, that too wasn't available. It is NOW, but it wasn't THEN. sigh...
dave
Eric Johnson wrote:

I left out the qualifier, "locally". I hope you all correctly inferred that...
dave
Bay Area Dave wrote:

Did you imply that?
tom
Thomas J. Watson - Cabinetmaker (ret.) (Real Email is tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet) http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1 /
dave
Tom Watson wrote:

Hey, you know that always makes me laugh.
That's not fair.
Thomas J. Watson - Cabinetmaker (ret.) (Real Email is tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet) http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1 /
<g> My bad! dave
Tom Watson wrote:

Yeah but those items are still catalog order specialty in my book and whether your order from the catalog or the website your not overwhelmed with 30 responses of the same product. Don't all those subordinate sites get a kick back from Amazon or Rockler if they initiate the shopping cart? And when you bought the low angle Veritas did you sift through 30 sites to get to the same Amazon or Rockler drop ship shopping cart or did you go right to Lee Valley? One thing I am disappointed with is my local hardware store is now logging into Amazon for those odd request items but I suppose it's a nice service for the rest of the folks in the township that don't have access..
EJ

On Mon, 02 Feb 2004 21:46:55 GMT, "markm"

<http://www.coastaltool.com/
I can walk in to this place! <G>
Barry
Some folks can't walk, Barry. For them internet shopping is a godsend...
dave