Re-cutting door frame hinge mortises

I'm doing a reno project and have many doors which need to be replaced or fiddle with. I've been using the tried and true hammer and chisel to cut or recut the existing hinge mortises on the frames. My question is: is there an easier way to do this? Possibly with a laminate router or some jig that can speed up the process. Cutting by hand works it's just time consuming. Mostly I need a method that work on the frame not the door. The door is the easy part, well a bit easier. Thx.

Reply to
Alan Smithee

Chisel by hand, router with a jig. There may be other solutions, but these are what I am familiar with. I don't do it for a 'living'.

FWIW,

Greg G.

Reply to
Greg G

Yes - you can get a Stanley template for use with a router and it comes with the correct router bit. All you need to do is square the corners if you're using that kind of hinge. If you have the rounded corner hinges - job done. As I recall, cost was about $30 for a piece of plastic and the router bit but it's tough, won't break easily and worked as advertised. Mines out in the shop gathering dust....

Bob S.

Reply to
BobS

For one door, I use a laminate router freehand. I also have a Bosch jig that I use if I have a bunch to do. The jig is $225 or so, but you could probably off it on eBay if you don't need to keep it.

Barry

Reply to
Ba r r y

If you have a guide bushing and a straight cutter for your router you can easily make a jig out of plywood to do one pocket at a time. If you have a long enough straight cutter you can make the jig where it lays over the stop so that you don't even have to remove the stop. It will take a little time to make the jig but will be worth it if you have many to do. You can also buy a one-pocket-at-a-time jig or you can also buy the larger jigs that set up two or three pockets in one set-up. If you think you may have to do this process on other jobs, I'd go ahead and buy one. Most of these jigs will come with a guide bushing which may or may not fit your particular brand of router. We normally use a

1/2" diameter straight cutter which works for a 1/4" radius hinge or is easily chiseled to be a square corner. Some prehungs we see now have been mortised with a 1" bit and have the 1/2" radius hinges.

Mike O.

Reply to
Mike O.