RE: Cudos to NYW

Had a rerun of the show where Norm built a mantle for his house.

Basically a lesson in how to go about trimming out something including using stock moldings and/or making custom shapes from oversize stock that gets trimed to size afterwords to minimize possible injuries.

Showed not only how, but also why an inside corner of a cornice molding should be coped to fit.

A lesson in how to salvage cupped boards used for trim.

Subtle ways the NYWcontinues to function as a class room to teach the viewer.

One thing I did notice, NYW must have some stock in nails for nail guns.

I counted no less than 6 different nail sizes being used.

Everything from brads to 6d finish.

Oh well, it was a worth while rerun, IMHO.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

On 5/9/2009 5:48 PM Lew Hodgett spake thus:

I think you mean "kudos", no?

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

No, it's metric.

Reply to
-MIKE-

It's all Greek to me.

Reply to
J. Clarke

What ever floats your boat.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

That's a definite maybe.

RicodJour

On 5/9/2009 10:21 PM RicodJour spake thus:

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Always has been. Start sprinkling some neander terms in your everyday conversation.

RicodJour

My wife's old boss, the principal at our high school, has a small speech impediment that only shows up for certain words. For years at assemblies when she was praising students and staff, we were sure she was saying "Koodles". It sounded cute, but we were left scratching our heads until we figgered it out.

Reply to
scritch

At least it didn't come across as "cooties".

Reply to
J. Clarke

Or "kuddles".

Reply to
MikeWhy

On 5/10/2009 7:35 AM RicodJour spake thus:

Hmm, new questions. "Neander" terms; not in my dictionary. Only references I can find are to the place where Neanderthal man was discovered. Izzat what you meant?

Dawg.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

"David Nebenzahl" wrote

Two schools of woodworking. The Nahmies and the Neanders.

A Nahmie is a guy who uses lots of power tools like Norm Abrams of New Yankee Workshop.

The Neaners are the guys who use lots of handtools, like roy of the The Woodwright's shop.

Kinda over simplified, but that is the gist of it. I should mention there is a lot of good natured (and sometimes not) ribbing going on between these two groups.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

There are two types of folks in the woodworking universe:

  1. Neanders - users of hand tools. Roy Underhill is the patron saint of Neanders.
  2. Normites - users of power tools. Norm Abram is their patron saint.

Each group has its purists. A neander who uses no power at all is called a grunt neander. They tend to wear clothing that was castoff in about 1834 and use no tool manufactured after 1934 unless it was handmade using no tool manufactured ... You get the idea. Physically they tend to be somewhat stooped and are usually bleeding from one or more cuts.

A nuclear normite uses no hand tools. Even chisel and sandpaper, for example, must have a dangling cord and a plug. Mechanical pencils have been the subject of debate as to their legality. Clothing consists of a jump suit of synthetic fiber and a shop apron with a facility to guard one's privates. Nukes quite often are missing a digit or two.

The average woodworker tends to swing both ways. (!?)

mahalo, jo4hn

Reply to
jo4hn

On 5/10/2009 8:33 PM jo4hn spake thus:

I guess that makes me kind of a backslidden Neander; try to use nothing but old hand tools, but then there are all those tools with black cords hanging off of them. Can't help myself: must ... use ... router ...

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

However, depending upon the degree of their dedication, a neander may also be missing digits. Those small hand-axes can be an issue. :-)

Reply to
Mark & Juanita