RE: Cudos to Apex Tool Group

Page 9 of 9

If you've accepted the wage, it's fair. It takes two to have a contract.
On 3/22/2015 4:25 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

Yep. I have a friend, who was a state trooper. He retired, because he was eligible. He complains that they don't allow him to come back to work because of double dipping. His contention is that he is already traained why shouldn't he save the state money by coming back to work as a cop. I explain that in no other place can you retire and come back to work and get another pension. He doesn't understand why he can't. There is a lot of brain washing. And I can't talk about this with him, because his view is so twisted.
--
Jeff

On 3/22/2015 4:22 PM, woodchucker wrote:

I don't know why he can't retire and come back either. It is most likely NOT double dipping. Retirement payments are almost always paid out of an annuity. If the state would simply exempt returning retirees from getting a second pension the matter would be solved. The actual problem is that they want to rehire at beginning salary and not at the same salary they were paying when originally employee. This is just one reason my wife did not go back to work for the state after retiring. Plus at a certain point an experienced government worker is simply making too much money. They are replaced by cheap new hires and the government really does not care if they are efficient or not.
On 3/22/2015 5:22 PM, woodchucker wrote:

In many state, that pension can be as much as 80% of regular pay too. Many in his situation, if yhoung enough, take a private sector job and pay into Social Security and then collect that later.

On Sunday, March 22, 2015 at 2:55:42 PM UTC-4, Leon wrote:
...snip...

...snip...
re: "So years later mom goes to work and the kids are raised by baby sitte rs, school programs, etc. So, the kids in general, learn their values from strangers also..."
I think we need to soften that just a bit because many of those "baby sitte rs, school programs and strangers" are the same moms that had to go back to work. It's not like the moms went off into the abyss and their kids were l eft in the hands of the bad guys all day.
When my mom went back to work it was as a school aide in the school that I attended. I can assure you that she tried to instill the same values in the other kids at school that she instilled in her kids (me). She knew many of the other kids' their parents and would not hesitate to let the kids know that she wasn't afraid to talk to the parents if need be. Many of the other aides (and a few teachers) were parents of my friends. These "strangers" d id not leave their parental values (both good and bad, but mostly good) at home. They brought them to work and did their best to pass them along to th e kids in their charge.
When SWMBO (AKA my kids' mom) went back to work it was as a before school/a fter school baby sitter for kids whose parents worked out side of the home. She did her best to instill the same values in those kids as she did in ou rs. I think she did a pretty good job. Those kids still stay in touch with us. One of them just did our roof, not because he was a family friend, but because he presented the most professional estimate, discussed our options in a courteous manner and came with great references. I like to think that his babysitter (AKA my kids' mom) helped make him the man he is today by en suring he did his homework, was respectful, etc. while he was in her care.
On 3/23/2015 11:42 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

There are many great baby sitters and caretakers, but there are some that operate as a warehouse for kids.
Can't generalize because I've seen a couple of situation where the sitter did a better job than the parents, but the opposite also happens.
IMO, the reason why the kids are farmed out makes a lot of difference. If mom is working because dad has a modest paying job and it is tough getting by, I have no problem with that.
The ones that irk me is the parent that farms out child rearing so mom can work and buy a boat or a new Volvo instead of a Chevy.
Disclaimer: My wife did not work until the kids were in high school and then it was only part time for a few months.

Agreed but US made stuff (appliances, anyway) do exist. It's usually the people who bitch the most about exporting jobs are 1) the ones buying foreign products when there is a US made alternative and 2) vote for those who are causing companies to move jobs outside the US.
On 3/22/2015 10:59 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Exactly.
Lew Hodgett wrote:

Lew --------------------------------------------------- Leon wrote:

------------------------------------------------ Max wrote:

----------------------------------------------------- Sorry to see your company lost a valued customer; however, doubt your labor costs were the only cause the loss.
Unless you are in a business where the only value you bring to the table is low price, my guess is that somebody took their eye off the ball and truly forgot why this now ex-customer became your customer in the first place.
Just a guess.
And yes, if we are to loose a USA company to another country, then Mexico is the least painful since hopefully the move will help relieve the pressure on our entry level labor pool by creating jobs in Mexico.
Lew
On 3/22/2015 5:31 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

Well that is some what of a self centered way to look at things. What about our poor northern states having to deal with the Canadians coming over here for jobs. LOL JUST KIDDING!
But seriously our poor USA actors are in earnest being replaced by their Canadian counter parts. It is surprising how many of today's TV shows pretty much have an all Canadian cast. Take Rookie Blue for example. Scroll down to the cast names and click on the name beside the picture.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1442065/fullcredits?ref_=tt_ql_1