RE: Cudos to Apex Tool Group

Page 6 of 9
On 3/27/2015 10:01 PM, snipped-for-privacy@zzz.com wrote:

Exactly, I still remember looking at my mother, dumbfounded. I showed the spreadsheet schedule to my father, he was an accountant, and explained how soon he could pay off his home and how much money he could save. My mother commented, why do you want to make payments bigger than necessary, you will always have house payments or rent. The notion of constantly being in debt is imprinted in way too many peoples brains.
I believe that most people that can't put any extra money in with their payments have bitten off more than they can chew to begin with. And I don't feel sorry for those people. I have been there.
The biggest advantage to paying your home off is greatly reducing the risk of loosing it. Yes you can make other investments but if you loose income and cant afford those investments you may only loose your investment. If you can't make house payments you loose your home and may not be able to afford rent either. Than where do you go?

Perhaps they have bitten more off than they can chew but you have to start Thanksgiving dinner with the first bite. We were really far out on the ledge with our first house but interest rates were 14.5%, too (down from 18% when we were looking). There was no chance of paying a dime extra.
I don't feel sorry for the results of anyone's choices. They have the right to make choices and with that goes the chance to fail. It's a great trade-off, IMO.

Precisely the reason I don't invest the extra payments (though I understand it). At this point in my life, the security of the home is much better than a few extra bucks I could gamble in the market. Yeah, I lost big time over the last couple of years but there's that "choice" thing again.
On 3/28/2015 5:49 PM, snipped-for-privacy@zzz.com wrote:

Understood, we once had 12% the rate was 13 and a couple years later it went up to 18. We were stuck in that routine until rates came down to 9 and then we started the process by refinancing to a 15 year loan. We did not lower our payments but a couple of dollars but we went from about $36 a month going towards principal instantly to $158 per month for a couple of years and then started adding $300 per month as we paid vehicles off.

I think most peoples problem is that they invest money in the market that they cannot afford to loose. I don't depend on my market investments at all, if I lost all of that money I would be highly upset with myself but it would not change the way I live.
On 3/29/2015 9:53 AM, Leon wrote:

It came down to "how much a month can I afford" and bought a house priced accordingly. Great times if you had an old low interest mortgage or no mortgage and were buying CD's for 12% return.
A few years later I recall walking out of the bank after the first re-fi knowing I just saved $40,000+ Then did it again. And again.
On 3/29/2015 9:18 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Well while those interest rates seemed good, they were only high to keep up with inflation. If you could get a CD with those rates you were basically insuring that your stash was not loosing spending power. The ideal time to have purchased a home was early to mid 70's. In Houston 10 years later the homes almost tripled in value. I find that CD's are a safe and good investment if you are drawing a LOT of money and not spending it all. As I have once heard, CD's are a safe way to watch your money loose value.

On 3/28/2015 11:49 AM, Leon wrote:

I work with a woman that has never lived in a bought house. Her parents rented, when she was married they rented, she still rents, Upon retirement her plan is to go into senior housing. She seems to be content with it, but that is not what I aspired to.

Same here. Long time ago and did not like it.

My goal was to have the house paid for long before retirement. I'm now collecting social security (still working 80% too) Taxes, insurance, utilities are all iIneed to survive. I like the idea of knowing my ass will not be out on the street in my old age. Or having a nasty landlord.

On 3/28/2015 7:12 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

She was never taught, in a way she could understand, to think differently. There is a shocking amount of people that think that way.

Exactly. Unfortunately down here we still have the threat of the government and taxes, even if our homes are paid off. But fortunately at 65 you still owe taxes but you can take an exemption and pay them with penalty when you sell, if you sell. ;~)

We still have the threat of the tax man but it's only 30%[*] of what it would have been had we not moved.
[*] On more than twice the house and 3x the lot size.

On 3/22/2015 3:30 PM, Leon wrote:

And firefighters.... ;-)
On 3/22/2015 6:47 PM, Max wrote:

Thank you for correcting me. Lets certainly not leave them out or police, our service men and women, and to mention again health care workers and our educators, or anyone that risks their lives for us. I think we should feel better about spending more of our money for their salaries than those that don't help out in the ways that these people do.
BUT we have been trained to believe that we should spend our money the way we want and in particular we are trained to spend our money on what makes us feel good at the moment and not on what is good for us long term. We are no longer investing in our longevity as a society.
On 3/23/2015 9:32 AM, Leon wrote:

You've been reading my mail. :-) Or I've been reading yours. ;-)
On 3/23/2015 11:50 AM, Max wrote:

It's nice to know that I am not the only one here that thinks this way and just to be clear, I am not a liberal.
Bill wrote:

have afforded to pay his employees $200/day. But since maybe only 1 spoke English, I doubt they did that well.
On 3/22/15 4:30 PM, Bill wrote:

You had the choice to hire them. If I hired a roofing company to roof my house, they would have to provide me with proof that all workers were here legally and they were getting paid market value and workers' comp. Oh, and I would want to inspect recent jobs to make sure they knew WTF there were doing.
--

-MIKE-

-MIKE- wrote:

between the salesperson who came to speak with me, and the group who arrived to do the work. I think the workers were working on some sort of "first-come, first-served" basis, as there were at least a half-dozen car and trucks on my street by 7:00 am. And since the first day was "rained-out", the same thing happened the next day.
On 3/22/2015 5:09 PM, Bill wrote:

hired several guys at the parking lot to to the job.
Leon wrote:

really knew who was who, based upon previous experience. And evidently, if you weren't on time, you didn't work that day!

On 3/22/2015 6:27 PM, Bill wrote:

Correction on my above comment.
Kind'a sounds like your contractor went to HD to buy the materials and hired several guys at the parking lot to to the job. The guy that showed up the most often and consistently this month is the on site job boss.
On 3/22/15 5:58 PM, Leon wrote:

Kinda sounds like you're familiar with the roofing business. :-)
--

-MIKE-

On 3/22/2015 4:30 PM, Bill wrote:

head, taxes, advertising, fuel costs etc?