RE: Cudos to Apex Tool Group

Or a teacher? I can see where every one that does not see the problem comes from. All of us have been brought up to think this way. But put more emphasis on education vs. things that are not as important and we are all better off.

Almost all of us complain about the shape that our government and our country is in. The one thing that can make things better is to better educate our selves, our children, and their children. But our society glamorizes sports and entertainment over being educated so that is where the money goes. That IMHO is a recipe for disaster.

Reply to
Leon

Exactly. Spend the money where you want but don't let uneducated decisions steal your money. Think about how spending money best helps YOU out, not the way that the advertisers/other people tell you how you should spend it. And paying big bucks to the entertainers/game players by advertisers "is" advertizing "telling you" how to spend your money. They pull you in with easily replaceable and an endless supply of easy to replace fun stuff.

Reply to
Leon

In many state, that pension can be as much as 80% of regular pay too. Many in his situation, if yhoung enough, take a private sector job and pay into Social Security and then collect that later.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

But our society is not like "in your world". It is exactly how it is now, screwed up.

Reply to
Leon

I wouldn't argue with you about teachers. However, in some areas they make up over 70, 80 grand a year, with all those breaks and summer. :-)

People will spend lots of money to go to professional sporting events, but won't vote to raise property taxes to fund local schools. So in a way they are making the choice to place entertainer above teachers.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Thank you for correcting me. Lets certainly not leave them out or police, our service men and women, and to mention again health care workers and our educators, or anyone that risks their lives for us. I think we should feel better about spending more of our money for their salaries than those that don't help out in the ways that these people do.

BUT we have been trained to believe that we should spend our money the way we want and in particular we are trained to spend our money on what makes us feel good at the moment and not on what is good for us long term. We are no longer investing in our longevity as a society.

Reply to
Leon

Correction on my above comment.

Kind'a sounds like your contractor went to HD to buy the materials and hired several guys at the parking lot to to the job. The guy that showed up the most often and consistently this month is the on site job boss.

Reply to
Leon

Which is worth more to you, A person that helps you or entertains you? Both charge you nothing.

Reply to
Leon

But from an actual personal need....which is worth more to you? Someone that helps you or someone that entertains you?

Reply to
Leon

...snip...

...snip...

re: "So years later mom goes to work and the kids are raised by baby sitte rs, school programs, etc. So, the kids in general, learn their values from strangers also..."

I think we need to soften that just a bit because many of those "baby sitte rs, school programs and strangers" are the same moms that had to go back to work. It's not like the moms went off into the abyss and their kids were l eft in the hands of the bad guys all day.

When my mom went back to work it was as a school aide in the school that I attended. I can assure you that she tried to instill the same values in the other kids at school that she instilled in her kids (me). She knew many of the other kids' their parents and would not hesitate to let the kids know that she wasn't afraid to talk to the parents if need be. Many of the other aides (and a few teachers) were parents of my friends. These "strangers" d id not leave their parental values (both good and bad, but mostly good) at home. They brought them to work and did their best to pass them along to th e kids in their charge.

When SWMBO (AKA my kids' mom) went back to work it was as a before school/a fter school baby sitter for kids whose parents worked out side of the home. She did her best to instill the same values in those kids as she did in ou rs. I think she did a pretty good job. Those kids still stay in touch with us. One of them just did our roof, not because he was a family friend, but because he presented the most professional estimate, discussed our options in a courteous manner and came with great references. I like to think that his babysitter (AKA my kids' mom) helped make him the man he is today by en suring he did his homework, was respectful, etc. while he was in her care.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

It does that but some of the younger guys don't use the foam, they just stand in one spot and bend over.

Reply to
Leon

Not when the boss and his crew has only been in the country for a few weeks.

Reply to
Leon

that might be debatable. ;~) they do have to train to swinging the can up in to the truck with out hurting themselves. Much like guy on the assembly line mounting tires/wheel assemblies and attaching lug nuts. I think an assembly line worker would might be easier to replace, you have to actually build up your physical strength and stamina to run along side a garbage truck all day and in all kinds of weather and tossing trash into the back of the trucks. Our trash cans are 75 gallon sized, provided by the waste collection company, and they are often full.

You can say that again and again and again. Unfortunately this is not as cool as going to college and failing.

Reply to
Leon

And my point in all of this is that our society has taught us to believe that fun is an absolute in all economic equations. What if we changed that equation to leave out fun and put in happy.

We have fun as a society spending trillions on sports and entertainment. If we spent that money on what makes us happy we would all be better off. IMHO

Reply to
Leon

Our G men just drive the truck and deploy the power can grabber to collect the trash without ever getting out of the truck. The recycle guys do run down the street, but the recycle boxes are relatively small.

Reply to
Doug Winterburn

Civilization is still evolving. ;-)

Reply to
Max

You've been reading my mail. :-) Or I've been reading yours. ;-)

Reply to
Max

We're conflating two different types of worth: economic and that of merit or virtue. The former is not subjective, for the most part, while the latter is completely subjective.

I am making a moral judgment when I say I don't think an auto line worker with a GED is worth the same in compensation from his company as someone who spent years and money to get educated, trained, and experience in their field. Because from an economic standpoint, there are worth whatever their employer pays them.

You are saying the same thing with the athlete/teacher comparison.

In the end, since we don't all share the same morals and values, the free market and the democratic process is the best way to do it. Thank God we live in a country where we can freely debate these things while typing from our relatively cheap computers. :-)

Reply to
-MIKE-

...snip...

Don't your trucks have "automatic lifters"?

Our G-men (and women) roll the containers to the side of the truck, hook 'e m up and pull a lever.

Granted, they do have to lift the non-containerized debris, but WM has rule s regarding what we can put out as normal trash vs. what we need to call in . For large items, like furniture and appliances, they often send a truck w ith a crane.

That said, I grew up in NYC. I'm pretty sure that back then the G men were indeed highly skilled technicians, extensively trained in 3 aspects:

1 - Smashing brand new galvanized cans on the edge of the truck in precisel y the correct manner such that the lid will never, ever fit securely again . 2a - Shifting each homeowner's cans at least 3 houses to the left or right so that you had to go searching for your cans. In addition, one can will h ave been left 2-3 houses to the right, the other 2-3 houses to the left. 2b - In all cases, the non-fitting lid will not be shifted to same location as the can itself. 3 - Placing cans on the sidewalk in such a manner that they will prevent pe destrians from walking in a straight line. Some cans will be placed standin g on the street side of the sidewalk, other will be placed lying down on th e right, still others will left dead center.

The exception to Rule #3 is that all cans will be left standing up on rainy days so as to collect as much water as possible.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Depends, could be devolving ;->

Reply to