Re: Crosscut sled dimensions?

Definitely something to consider, but not so much if he has an outfeed table.

Reply to
Upscale

> Be aware that the bigger you make it, the more sled will be hanging off the > saw at the end of a cut. Holding the wood, trying to keep this thing from > falling on the floor and trying to concentrate on keeping yourself out of > the saw all at the same time. Think about it.

Not a problem with side and rear extension tables. The more significant hazard with oversized sleds is one of your hands will be outside of your field of view. Include a guard, or at very least, double and triple check the placement of your leading hand before making a cut.

Reply to
Dr. Rev. Chuck, M.D. P.A.

Good point.. However, I have a 48"x24" sled (21" between the front and rear fences, 24" on either side of the curf) I don't have any trouble with support, but any deeper and I likely would. FWIW. It's a great sled, but it is bulky. I recently built a couple of single-runner, smaller sleds (maybe 18"x20"?) which are handy for smaller stuff, bevels, and dados.

Build a big one for when you want the capacity, and then make a small one to grab for that quick little cutoff.

-Steve

Reply to
Stephen Meier

Actually, my plan was to use sawhorses along the side of the saw, since the sled would be a good deal wider than the saw. I think that I'd need them in most cases to make most cuts anyway, even without the sled, since the table is so small.

BTW, I did buy some plexiglas, as I definitely want a blade guard. I am thinking of a U shaped guard that rides up and down in slots in the boards at either end of the sled.

Thansk to all,

Mike P. Wagner

Reply to
Mike P. Wagner

Cut the ends arc-shaped, radius equal to half the length of the box guard. Sharp corners tend to jam in the slots. If the guard annoys you, you won't use it.

Alternatively, a flat piece of plexi about 4" wide supported on blocks will work fine. No side panels, but you'd have to make a very deliberate effort to put a finger in harm's way.

Reply to
Dr. Rev. Chuck, M.D. P.A.