Re: Craftsman Radial Arm Saw Router Attachment

I was in a small commercial woodworking shop about 5 years ago and noticed

> that they had an older Craftsman Radial Arm Saw that had a different > carriage on it. This carriage was mounted in place of the original saw > carriage (which was sitting nearby). This alternate carriage assembly held a > barrel type router which was capable of being positioned in all of the axes > that the saw motor could normally be positioned in. It appeared as though > they could change back and forth between the saw and the router carriages > quite easily. > > I now have a need for such a device, but cannot find any information about > it and I cannot remember the name of the shop where I was when I saw this > unique tool. During that period my job had me in many woodshops across 42 > states. > > Can anyone provide any information about this "router carriage"? Is it still > available? If so, from where? My only lead is this: The Router Bracket > Company, PO Box 533, Richmond, Va 23204 but they don't seem to exist any > more. >

It's called an overhead pin router. If you can find an old PowrKraft(Montgomery Wards) RAS with two aux spindles (3450 and 20,000 RPM), you won't have to change the heads - you can use the high speed spinidle with 1/4" shank router bits - in any orientation that a RAS head will turn.

-Doug

Reply to
Doug Winterburn

I _knew_ there was a reason my Dad preferred Monkey Ward to Sears but never really understood it before. Trouble is that he never thought to explain it in those particular terms.

That sounds like a truly lovely tool to have.

Reply to
J. Clarke