Re: Couple of questions

for the maple, try www.woodfinder.com. I've had good luck finding places using that site.
Mike

Snip
I agree, John. I have an email adress for a WoodMizer rep who was very helpful. I'm not sure what the netiquette is regarding posting someone else's email addy, but shoot me an email and I'll send it to you. Or, you could go to
www.woodmizer.com
and hook up with them that way.
As far as a log five feet in diameter, most of the portable bandmills I've seen only go to about 3 feet or so. It may have to be ripped down to a more manageable size (with a huge freaking chainsaw or something). The guy who cut up my cherry tree charged 30 cents/bf but his invoice had a note on it saying that logs over 40" in diameter would incur an extra charge.
At any rate, it would be well worth it, almost regardless of cost. Even if you wind up spending 50 cents a bf and an additional $200 for the extra work, you've still gotten a hell of a deal on a pantload of black walnut.
My 2 cents.
-Phil Crow
michael snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com says...

Mike, there was a place in Walla Walla called Jackson Sanders Hardwoods. I don't know if they're still there or not.
--
Where ARE those Iraqi WMDs?

My nephew in Kennewick does a lot of woodwork. He must have some local supply of good wood. Spokane is probably just as close and they must have a good supply of woods.
Dick