Re: Connector Bolts.

1) Did you clean any oil / dirt off bolts? 2) Apply a primer to metal. Zinsser or white metal primer ...no color bleeding. 2) White epoxy appliance paint might stick better?

Greetings All, I have just finished my first real wood project (baby

> cradle) and the wife has dictated that it must be white to match the > room. With that said I only can find bronze connector bolts and I > would like to have them in white. I tried painting them (Krylon spray > primer then paint) but it will not stick? Can anyone direct me to a > seller of white connector bolts or let me in on the secret to make > paint stick to bronze bolts. Any and all help would be appreciated. > > TFD >
Reply to
Marilynn or Bruce Pearce

I did not clean the bolts. I made the assumption (probably wrong to do) that the bolts in their nice new plastic bag were clean. Can I pick up the epoxy paint through Rockler?

TFD

Reply to
LineVoltageHalogen

Those bolts were more likely coated with a light oil to prevent rust.

Reply to
Stephen M

The epoxy paint isn't really necessary. Your problem is that the primer isn't adhering. No matter what paint you put over primer that is not adhering, it won't adhere. There's nothing magical about epoxy paint. Go ahead and clean all of your hardware in alcohol and even give it a rub down with a 3M pad or like abrasive pad.

What are you observing when you hit it with the primer? Does the primer seem to be going on evenly, but failing to adhere after it's dry? Or - is it producing fisheyes when you spray it on?

Reply to
Mike Marlow

When I first put on the primer it coated nicely, the same with the paint. The bolts have cured for about 2 weeks now and when I run my nail over the face of the connector bolt the paint comes off quite easily, you see the bronze underneath.

I am going to give a new set of bolts a nice cleaning in alchool and then a scrub with an abrasive pad as suggested. Hopefully this fixes the problem

Reply to
LineVoltageHalogen

I know some climates are worse than others for causing corrosion of metals, but sheesh, I never heard of a place where bronze rusts!

Reply to
lwasserm

I think they are actually steel bolts that have some type of paint or coating on them to make them look like bronze:

LineVoltageHalogen

I just looked at the link that someone else posted and am wondering if these are the same connector bolts you are using? If so, scrape the bronze coating off before priming.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

I did do that. I used a 3M abrasive pad and put the bolt in my drill and spun the Dickin's out of it against the pad. I had nice clean metal and I then washed it in alcohol. When it dried I primed it with Krylon zinc metal primer. I am going to let that dry for a day or two before I applyl the first coat of white paint.

LineVoltageHalogen