Re-conditioned tool from Amazon

Anyone bought re-conditioned tools from Amazon.com? And if so, your opinions please..........Thanks
I bought the Hitachi 18V drill. Great deal and works great. I was looking for the PC drill and saw but from ALL the reviews I saw, they are garbage. I guess PC does not do a good job with reconditioned stuff.
The Hitachi was $99 delivered, but it did take about a 2 weeks to get it.

Neil Larson wrote:

A local Ace Hardware store near me does a booming business in selling factory reconditioned tools from DeWalt and Porter Cable. I've bought a number of the Porter Cable recons from both this store and other outlets and never had a problem.
I don't own the PC drill but maybe the drill itself is crap no matter if it's new or recon? I'd find that hard to believe given PC's reputation but you never know.
My take on factory reconditioned is that I'd just as soon buy reconditioned than new.
Unless the recon is uglier than a junk yard dog, you're getting a tool at a cheaper price, it's been essentially handmade since they have a tech going over it individually to bring it back to factory specs, and that also implies a full inspection of all parts, not just spot checking as you may encounter on the assembly line.
Then, too, most give you the full warranty on the recon so where's the rub?
A little cosmetic blem? Hah! I use my tools and anything I buy new or reconditioned generally acquires an "individualized patina" all its own after one or two projects<g>
I bought the large Porter-Cable plunge router -- I forgot the model number. It's been perfect. There was a tiny bit of damage to the casing which has zero impact on the performance. Glad I made the purchase.
El Guapo wrote:

I bought a reconditioned Dewalt 788 scroll saw. I have had no problems with it. Would I do it again? Yes. Bob
I don't think it matters where you buy it from. I believe they all come from the original manufacturer. I have several Dewalt tools that were remanufactured. Other than a little "R" stamp on them, you would never know the difference. (In my experience anyway.) I always look for remanufactured first, before I buy. You can't always find what you want, though. THey ussually are priced 30% - 50% less.
Joe In Denver My Woodworking Website: www.the-wildings.com/shop/

An aquaintance of mine used to own a tool store. (He sold just before HD came to town...smart move, btw) Anyway... he told me that some manufacturers do the 'refurb' thing with brand new tools to get around anti-dumping laws. According to him, the manufacturers rather sell one of their tools at cheap rates than see that customer buy a ,say, Ryobi.
The reason that sounded real to me, was the fact that a dealer, who sold my loudspeakers, kept asking me for 'scratch and dents', somehow, some of his customers didn't mind a blemish because they thought they were getting a deal, closing the sale. So I started to make 'scratch & dents' just for that dealer... I got rid of my 'off-colour' walnut, I didn't have to 'rework' any small imperfections, so it was an all around win-win situation. I also shipped him perfectly acceptable pairs as 'S&D'.
I buy refurbs in a heartbeat. A 14V Milwaukee drill I bought was a 'refurb'. I opened it up and found the finishing marks were still on the brushes and commutator. New. Some are repackaged returns. Guy comes home with his new Schlabotnic DXP Panferator, SWMBO blows stack, guy returns tool. Guy lies, says it doesn't work right. Tool goes back to distributor, and so on....
00
Rob
<snip>

Lots of stores (especially Circuit City) return or discount items that have been returned or even opened.. good to check against a new one though, could have missing part.. A friend bought a drill/saw kit at 1/2 price and realized that a battery was missing... which cost MORE than 1/2 the price to replace..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 07:12:23 -0600, "El Guapo"

Yes I have. Generally I don't like to buy reconditioned power tools, unless I can get 33% off.

I can't comment on Amazon, but I always recommend reconditioned tools.. My feeling is that they get more quality control after being fixed than the new ones do coming off an assembly line..