Re: Compulsive Hoarding....Do You Know Someone LIke This?

On 16 Jan 2007 12:14:42 -0800, "Too_Many_Tools"

Not a problem in my case- every 3-6 months, I rent a two yard dumpster, and anything that I haven't used since I rented the last one either goes in there, or is given away or sold if it is something that might be of value to someone.
Never understood the concept of hording- if I'm not going to use it, I don't want it.

*WOW*
Normally, I try to avoid pointing things like this out, but was it really *necessary* to re-quote almost 1200 lines of text for this 4 line gem?
Prometheus wrote: [snip]

I'm with you. I have a client who owns a dumpster business and he lets me have a 6 yard dumpster for a couple of weeks a cpl of times a year. I pay to have it emptied, but that's not too bad. I have two boxes that used to contain kitchen sinks. One is for pieces of wood for the kid's wiener roast parties, the other for fine pieces of other woods/odd coloured solid surface. The rest goes to the dump. It is hard for me to get my head around throwing a (once) $ 3000.00 300 dpi laser printer in the dumpster.... but I have. Once in a blue moon, I'll boot my 128K macintosh.. that one is staying. I did finally toss a 2-gig Fujitsu hard drive, the size of a breadbox, just couldn't afford the electricity bills to spool it up. It suffered from the odd bout of 'sticktion', we all know what that feels like.
Time for another 6 yard bucket.

I feel the same way, but over the past year, I've been purging stuff that I haven't looked at in years. It's tough putting it the garbage bin, but once it's gone I soon forget about it. And, there's that feeling of satisfaction from recovering floor space or shelving space from stuff that gets in the way when I'm doing something else.
On Wed, 17 Jan 2007 14:19:34 -0600, Ignoramus18435

So do I. In fact, I've decided to print this entire thread and store it just in case I develop a hoarding problem later in life.
-Leuf
Leuf wrote:

never be able to replace it, and someone might really NEED it later.

This storage thing is a tricky business. You don't want to create any health and safety issues. I strongly recommend you leave it to a professional, like my wife.
I printed a copy for her and it will still be here on our kitchen countertop 100 years from now, just in case you ever need to refer to it again.