Re: Complete shop FA on Ebay

Page 1 of 2
Since the bid does not include the bolt and screw bins that are pictured, I will pass. ;-)
--
There is only one period and no underscores in the real email address.

On Tue, 29 Jul 2003 19:00:41 -0500, Digger wrote:

I'm suspicious -- the shop is too clean. I doubt it really exists.... (G)
david
--
I am a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have
of it.
"Digger" <DW> wrote in message

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item%48588389&category 810

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item%48588389&category 810
I'll take 2! Heck make it 3 :-) Poor person. We can only hope it is being sold by choice rather than necessity, but that's probably not the case unfortunately.
-- Regards,
Dean Bielanowski Editor, Online Tool Reviews http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com ------------------------------------------------------------ Latest 5 Reviews: - Eze-Lap Diamond Sharpening Stones - Incra TS-III Table Saw Fence - Ryobi AP13 Planer/Thicknesser - BeadLOCK Loose Tenon Joinery System - Hyphone Air Tool Kit & Impact Wrench ------------------------------------------------------------

LOL
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item%48588389&category 810
That's one hell of a organized shop and all the tools appear to be clean as hell. Looks like an army of professional cleaning personnel have been at it.

That's something else that makes me think it could have been post-estate sale material. A good auction house would hire exactly that army of professional cleaners if it means a sale.
david
--
I am a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have
of it.
D K Woods wrote:

Actually DK, if you'd been paying attention...

Uh-huh, I can see the Southeby's catalog now.
UA100, wondering what auction houses DK has been frequenting...

Hmmm, that's true now I think about it, I guess I was just fantasizing about what a good auction house *should* do...
Sotheby's is a good example, what with the shape Sue was in when they sold it.... *wink*
david
--
I am a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have
of it.
I kind of wonder if its a scam

LOL
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item%48588389&category 810

AFAIK, that's an edge sander for sanding edges of panels too big to do on a 6x48 belt, really a production machine for cabinet or other doors or table tops, etc. Now that I look at all of it, seems just a bit over the top for a home shop, definitely for a hobbyist. This looks more like a small commercial shop to me. Still no bids, be interesting to see what it goes for. If I had that much cash lying around AND a building to keep it in, I'd probably jump for it. Has anyone added up an aproximate value?
Gary
D K Woods wrote:

That belt sander *is* industrial for sure. I've never seen anything like that outside of a furniture factory.
On Thu, 31 Jul 2003 03:27:02 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Steven Van Densen) Crawled out of the shop and said. . .:

fffffuuuuuuuck........................ i lost my decoder ring some time back,,,and only got about half of this one
Traves
"Traves W. Coppock" wrote:

Well he did post using WebTV ....

No, the reason it is for sale is that the guy is in prison. You will note that the hacksaw is missing from the pegboard.
-Jack

whoops.
heh! missed it. ;->
james snipped-for-privacy@rochester.rr.com

Ya know, Keith, I believe this uses the Jack Daniels encryption method.
You can break it.
But it really hurts the next day.
Regards, Tom Thomas J. Watson - Cabinetmaker Gulph Mills, Pennsylvania http://users.snip.net/~tjwatson
snipped-for-privacy@carolina.rr.com.BARF says...

Product of the modern education system? Despite what they say, it really does matter how you present yourself and how you communicate.
Now, if the person who posted this suffers from some disability that impairs his ability to type, my apologies. That (or maybe a posting by someone in the lower grades of elementary school), however, is the only excuse for a posting that is so hard to understand.
On Fri, 01 Aug 2003 02:08:05 GMT, Mark & Juanita

Setting all that aside for a moment; I've stopped a girl I know from doing this sort of thing. She was bright but having a hell of a time trying to develop a thesis for a degree, the biggest issue was her spelling, it was dire by any means of reckoning. After a brief period of helping out by doing some word processing for her, the reality, little bit by little bit, started to dawn on me; we'd turned her spelling into a little joke between us, and as she told me more about what and how she'd been taught, it became clearer that she was taught to spell things phonetically if possible, at times when she was unsure of the correct spelling - the "problem" was that having been told that, the teacher had not considered any accent issues, and of course once you got her accent in your head, you could understand everything she'd written - with the spelling right or wrong, it was obvious what she'd meant. I think this was the intention of what she was taught, so that people could always communicate what they wanted to say, regardless of the level of their spelling skills. It just needed a little polishing as a concept!
Once I put that to her, she worked on her accent a little, and thought a little harder about how things might best be spoken and therefore would be spelled - she finished her thesis, and got the damn degree too. That was nearly 10 years back I think. After the exams, she got very interested in reading in a way she had not before, and this year amazed me by presenting me with some poems she'd been writing at a local poetry workshop.
OK, it's 'fess up time, the above is true, but it was a little more complex, the accent we were fighting with was her mum's, since she'd taught her to read, write and spell in the first place, but also had an even stronger accent than the girl in question! ;O)
Given that experience, I can only sit here and wonder what accent the original poster has, and whether knowing that might make the same sort of difference to reading what they wrote? Since I am probably the wrong side of the Atlantic to take this one further, maybe some of you other guys a bit closer could try it with a few local accents in mind. Does it help any? Sure might be nice if it did.
Take Care, Gnube {too thick for linux}

[snip interesting anecdote re affect of accent on phonetic spelling]

Doesn't improve things any.
I fear that the garbled spelling of the OP results from being taught to read in an American public (i.e. government-operated) school. For two generations, children in this country have been "taught" to read by "word recognition", and *not* by phonics. This is a very difficult way to learn to read: instead of memorizing a few dozen symbols and sounds, the child is forced to memorize thousands of entire words -- and actually *encouraged* to *guess* at unfamiliar words instead of sounding them out. This turns reading, which should be fun, into a chore.
Kids won't read, except when forced to, if they get no pleasure from it. This deprives them of the most effective method for learning to spell and write well: reading.
The entirely predictable result is what you see in the original post.
I'm glad I learned to read before I started school.
On Fri, 01 Aug 2003 22:33:49 +0000, Doug Miller wrote:
[snip]

The problem has existed at least as far back as the 1940's. After discovering my two older brothers could barely read and write in the fourth and 6th grades, my mother bought the necessary materials and invested the time to get them back on track as well as teaching my younger sister and me to read and write before we entered school.
-Doug