Re: Cleaning blades & bits

xris wrote in

    I spray on oven cleaner to clean my blades. Quick and easy. Spray on, let sit 5-10 minutes, and use an old toothbrush to brush it clean.     Use the "no heat" type. My blades come out sparkling clean. It does tend to remove some of the writing on some blades. It hasn't hurt my WWII's but has pulled some of the printing off of others. I can't remember which ones though, Freud I think. It doesn't hurt the blades though.
--
Michael Burton
Thunderbird Hardwoods

Ol' Sherm sez otherwise, and I'm obliged to accept his cautions. http://tinyurl.com/639z3 Look for Sherman Whipple's post. or <http://groups-beta.google.com/group/rec.woodworking/browse_thread/thread/5f327ea5c13c7ffc/eabf490228aa5df9?q=braze+saw+blade+group:rec.woodworking#eabf490228aa5df9
For safety, build one of these. I prefer an X for the eye, though. http://www.whipplesargent.com/whipjig5.pdf
--

People will occasionally stumble over the truth, but
most of the time they'll pick themselves up and carry on.