Re: Cleaning blades & bits

xris wrote in news:JJRXd.20695$gJ3.20261@clgrps13:

Stephen Bigelow wrote: >> Take a 12" wide round pan (I used a planter drip tray) >> Fill it with about 1/8" of ammonia >> Put the blade in it and let it soak for about 30 seconds >> Use a small tooth brush and the all the dirt and grime easily brushes >> away. >> >> It is best to do this outside, and try not to breath the ammonia... >> >> This is the cheapest, most effective solution I've found. >>

I spray on oven cleaner to clean my blades. Quick and easy. Spray on, let sit 5-10 minutes, and use an old toothbrush to brush it clean. Use the "no heat" type. My blades come out sparkling clean. It does tend to remove some of the writing on some blades. It hasn't hurt my WWII's but has pulled some of the printing off of others. I can't remember which ones though, Freud I think. It doesn't hurt the blades though.

Reply to
Michael Burton

On 21 Mar 2005 19:19:20 GMT, the inscrutable Michael Burton spake:

Ol' Sherm sez otherwise, and I'm obliged to accept his cautions.

Look for Sherman Whipple's post. or

For safety, build one of these. I prefer an X for the eye, though.

Larry Jaques