Re: Chisel dissapointment

If the plane comes as well sharpened as my apron plane did, you'll be able to make translucent shavings out of the box (with a proper iron setting). Don't be surprised if after a bit, a touchup on the hones will make it better than ever. IMO, just like with chisels, the hones stay out and with the first perception of dulling the iron gets a touch up on the hone and strop. My strop is rawhide leather glued to a flat board that is charged with a stropping compound (available from places like Woodcraft).

Have fun.

-Chris

Reply to
Lowell Holmes

That's not only a good plane, it is the _best_ "out of the box" handtool I've yet bought new.

I'd used it for months before I even stopped to hone it.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

You're really better off to have your paring chisels separate from your pounding chisels. Paring chisels should be Buck Bros., Marples, Greenlee, or whatever blows your dress up. Look for straight ones, and bring a steel scale to the store to check them before you pay for them. The "beaters" can be any damn thing with metal heels to pound on with steel hammers and wood or rawhide mallets. For these, I like the Craftsmans with the full length tang and butt and extremely durable molded-on handle-grips. I whack the SHIT out of these things in all types of wood and composites and they hold up well, and sharpen up with careful grinding and a few laps on the stone. Never seem to be able to get the "Razor Edge" on them, like the paring chisels, though. I think it is because of the slight machine marks on the flat side of the blade.

Reply to
RM MS

Isn't that the whole point of lapping?

-Chris

Reply to
Christopher

Thanks again Lowell. I've been reading The Handplane Book and I think I might go ahead and order the Veritas shoulder plane to finish the tenons on a project I'm about to start.

-Chris

Reply to
Christopher

I love hearing things like this about a tool I just bought. Wish I was hearing it about my chisels.

-Chris

Reply to
Christopher

'tis a slippery slope your on. My collection includes 3 Knight woodys, 3 bedrocks with Hock irons and Clifton breakers. That's how it starts. The Veritas shoulder plane caught my eye also.

Reply to
Lowell Holmes

That would be Leonard Lee but Rob doesn't seem to have fallen too far from the proverbial tree.

Cheers, Mike

Reply to
Mike

Christopher, some day you will be a Big Boy. I sharpen chisels and other blades eery day of my life. It was just an observance. Go out and buy both grades of chisels and then actually work with them every day and you might just see what I am trying to tell you, snot, Wannabee.

Reply to
RM MS

;-)

Reply to
Christopher

Gee...I was embarassed to admit that I really liked my Craftsman bench chisels. I haven't been able to get them sharp enough to "shave my arm" with...but they sure go through oak effortlessly!

Thanks for help> steel hammers and wood or rawhide mallets. For these, I like the

Reply to
Chris Merrill

Gave my eldest my dad's Craftsman chisels. Boxwood handled, leather capped, socket chisels they were.

Those were the days.

Oh yeah, I've got Bracht.

Reply to
George

Can I assume that's a chisel brand?...and not some sort of illness?

Reply to
Chris Merrill

Knew a lesbian that was afflicted with tounge-n-groove...

Reply to
DFerree923

Reply to
George

Looks like they have some really nice tools. I will be back to this site as soon as I get a little bit of "tool money" stashed away. :-) They have some serious website design issues to overcome though. Such as graphic links leading to " file:///E:/Hardware.htm " and the like. Most of the text links work ok except for the hardware and knife sections. Naturally they were the first two I tried to check out. It looks like the Ulmia tool Company closing it's doors really put a dent in their business.

Thanks, great site, Michael

"George" <someone snipped-for-privacy@microsoft.com wrote in news:YWj6b.6478$ snipped-for-privacy@kent.svc.tds.net:

Reply to
Michael Burton