Re: Chisel dissapointment

Page 2 of 2

when
out
just
them.
Thanks. I thought those detail chisels looked pretty good in the catalog. My order shipped yesterday and I can't wait to try them out. I've got the Veritas low angle block plane coming in the order as well. This will be my first hand plane and I'm itching to make some shavings!
-Chris
If the plane comes as well sharpened as my apron plane did, you'll be able to make translucent shavings out of the box (with a proper iron setting). Don't be surprised if after a bit, a touchup on the hones will make it better than ever. IMO, just like with chisels, the hones stay out and with the first perception of dulling the iron gets a touch up on the hone and strop. My strop is rawhide leather glued to a flat board that is charged with a stropping compound (available from places like Woodcraft).
Have fun.
Thanks. I thought those detail chisels looked pretty good in the catalog. My order shipped yesterday and I can't wait to try them out. I've got the Veritas low angle block plane coming in the order as well. This will be my first hand plane and I'm itching to make some shavings!
-Chris

Thanks again Lowell. I've been reading The Handplane Book and I think I might go ahead and order the Veritas shoulder plane to finish the tenons on a project I'm about to start.
-Chris
'tis a slippery slope your on. My collection includes 3 Knight woodys, 3 bedrocks with Hock irons and Clifton breakers. That's how it starts. The Veritas shoulder plane caught my eye also.

able
setting).
with
on

That's not only a good plane, it is the _best_ "out of the box" handtool I've yet bought new.
I'd used it for months before I even stopped to hone it.

I love hearing things like this about a tool I just bought. Wish I was hearing it about my chisels.
-Chris
You're really better off to have your paring chisels separate from your pounding chisels. Paring chisels should be Buck Bros., Marples, Greenlee, or whatever blows your dress up. Look for straight ones, and bring a steel scale to the store to check them before you pay for them. The "beaters" can be any damn thing with metal heels to pound on with steel hammers and wood or rawhide mallets. For these, I like the Craftsmans with the full length tang and butt and extremely durable molded-on handle-grips. I whack the SHIT out of these things in all types of wood and composites and they hold up well, and sharpen up with careful grinding and a few laps on the stone. Never seem to be able to get the "Razor Edge" on them, like the paring chisels, though. I think it is because of the slight machine marks on the flat side of the blade.

Isn't that the whole point of lapping?
-Chris
Christopher, some day you will be a Big Boy. I sharpen chisels and other blades eery day of my life. It was just an observance. Go out and buy both grades of chisels and then actually work with them every day and you might just see what I am trying to tell you, snot, Wannabee.
;-)

Gee...I was embarassed to admit that I really liked my Craftsman bench chisels. I haven't been able to get them sharp enough to "shave my arm" with...but they sure go through oak effortlessly!
Thanks for helping me out of the closet :)
RM MS wrote:

--
************************************
Chris Merrill

George wrote:

Can I assume that's a chisel brand?...and not some sort of illness?
--
Chris Merrill

Knew a lesbian that was afflicted with tounge-n-groove...
You could ass_u_me, but we're familiar with the outcome there.
Or, as you're sitting in front of a reference library: http://www.pecktool.com/chisels%20main%20pg.htm

    Looks like they have some really nice tools. I will be back to this site as soon as I get a little bit of "tool money" stashed away. :-)     They have some serious website design issues to overcome though. Such as graphic links leading to " file:///E:/Hardware.htm " and the like. Most of the text links work ok except for the hardware and knife sections. Naturally they were the first two I tried to check out. It looks like the Ulmia tool Company closing it's doors really put a dent in their business.
Thanks, great site, Michael