Re: Can you "loop" danish oil?

> I've just tried Danish oil for the first time over the last 7 days or > so. Tonight I was putting a last coat on an item of pine or spruce or > whatever the local shed are selling this week as basic soft lumber. > > Anyhow, I have been just sploshing this stuff on every other day or so > across this last week, and it's was starting to develop quite a nice > sheen, and lately a gloss. After this evenings coat and an hour or two > drying time, went to see how it was hatching out, and whamo! - flat as > a pancake no gloss and maybe a tad cloudy from what I can tell but > it's hard to say what I am seeing here - it's like it'd never seen a > drop of danish oil in it's life! > > Is there some sort of point of maximum saturation and beyond which > point this happens? Anyone seen this before? > > Feeling a little robbed of the nice glossy finish that was growing > there over the last few days! Its another new turn to explore though, > so it's not all bad news I guess! Sure has a clean, matte look to it > now.

Danish oil might as well be water for how fast it builds. Better (and cheaper) would be a mix of equal parts tung and/or boiled linseed, varnish (any type), and turps or mineral spirits. Mix small quantities, since unused finish gels quickly. Same rules for disposing of rags apply.

Reply to
Dr. Rev. Chuck, M.D. P.A.