RE: CAD programs

What are some favorite CAD programs for simple design work? What features do they include?

Reply to
Gary

Platform? Budget?

3D?
Reply to
Robatoy

Platform: Windows XP Home Budget: Less than $200.00

3D: Nice but not necessary Ease of use and intuitive design more important. Entering exact dimensions instead of dragging a line.

Reply to
Gary

Take a peek at Google's SketchUp.. it is free, as far as I know. The guys here are pretty happy with TurboCAD. I hear good things about DesignCAD as well.

The learning curve is always steep when starting off with a new program. Any CAD I have ever been exposed to, has always demanded a lot of attention to work-space, paper-space, units, scale, attributes etc. If you are unfamiliar with even the basic things like line- weights, there's a lot to learn. But learning CAD is very rewarding in the long run...and it all doesn't have to be as ominous and bulky as AutoCAD.

Reply to
Robatoy

I second the vote on SketchUp and can confirm that it is free and relatively easy to learn. There is an upgrade to a more professional version if you really need it.

Reply to
Jimbo

The most intuitive I've found thus far is AutoSketch9, and I've used TurboCAD and DesignCAD.

I've been using it for about 5 years now (QuickCAD first, which somehow morphed into AutoSketch about a year ago, had been recommended in a magazine comparison of 2D CAD programs suitable for woodworking).

It does what I need for design/measured shop drawings, and until a few weeks ago I had never looked at the documentation.

About $100, IIRC.

A plus for me is that it'll allow me to import and edit my architects AutoCAD drawings.

Reply to
Swingman

I've tried several times to get SketchUp to work for me and I just can't. I think the problem is that it defaults to treating everything as a skin-deep surface instead of an object with volume.

As bloated as it is, I use CorelDraw 12 for drafting. It lets you enter dimensions for shapes, you can edit the scale so you're talking about everything in the document in real-world size, you can place unprinted guidelines which you can snap to (or not), it understands when a node is moved to sit on a line or another node so you can line shapes up exactly, it makes it very easy/automatic to draw in dimension lines/arrows. I only wish it had more options for dotted lines.

Reply to
Gordon Airporte

SketchUp works great for furniture! The 3D visualization is so quick and simple it is more practical than the full blown AutoCAD Architectural Desktop I use as an architect.

IMO, if you can't model it in SketchUp, no CAD program will help you.

Reply to
Steve Hall

I use Turbocad Pro and Intellicad. Both are probably more program than you need or want to learn. I have other uses for them. Best for the money would prbably be Deltacad. Quick to learn but quite capable. About $40.00.

Reply to
CW