Re: Buttons for musical instrument

I see that I'm not the only one who exhibits the Department of Redundancy Department Syndrome. :~)
A couple of thoughts come to mind. 1. Look under your fingertips. Exorcise the keycaps from an old keyboard? Mine are about 5/32" height. Carve out a circle (1/4"?) containing the letter and inset it into your button. The black letter goes deep into the keycap on decent keybds and you should be able to sand/file the cap flat or domed for a better feel.
2. Get one of the cheap lettering die sets from Horrible Freight. I think I've seen these as small as 1/8". Heat up the appropriate letter with a torch and burn the indentation into your wood. Fill with contrasting whatever.
Remember - you did say "Any old off-the-wall idea".
Art
[snip]

Look for one of the 'engraving machines' that's used for cutting plastic badges.
Also, something like a Brother "P-Touch", with 'clear' tape in it, and then varnish/shellac.
snipped-for-privacy@msubillings.edu says...

lettering set (or would that be a lettering stamp set?), then fill with colored epoxy and sand.
--
Mark

The truth as I perceive it to be.
Will Self wrote:

What about using a lettered marking punch. See:
http://www.ehlers-grav.com/eng/eng_schlagsatz.html
-- Jack Novak Buffalo, NY - USA
On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 20:20:34 -0600, "Will Self"

Hey, that's when my bowsaur project is due out! Amazing coinkydink, wot?
-- "Not always right, but never uncertain." --Heinlein -=-=- http://www.diversify.com Wondrous Website Design
Larry Jaques wrote:

2113? Is this going to be another Microsoft "Chicago" deal? ;-)
-- Jack Novak Buffalo, NY - USA