Re: Buttons for musical instrument

I see that I'm not the only one who exhibits the Department of Redundancy Department Syndrome. :~)

A couple of thoughts come to mind.

  1. Look under your fingertips. Exorcise the keycaps from an old keyboard? Mine are about 5/32" height. Carve out a circle (1/4"?) containing the letter and inset it into your button. The black letter goes deep into the keycap on decent keybds and you should be able to sand/file the cap flat or domed for a better feel.

  1. Get one of the cheap lettering die sets from Horrible Freight. I think I've seen these as small as 1/8". Heat up the appropriate letter with a torch and burn the indentation into your wood. Fill with contrasting whatever.

Remember - you did say "Any old off-the-wall idea".

Art

Naturally I want to make them of wood (naturally). >
Reply to
Wood Butcher

Look for one of the 'engraving machines' that's used for cutting plastic badges.

Also, something like a Brother "P-Touch", with 'clear' tape in it, and then varnish/shellac.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

Since indent and fill is the goal, I'd suggest a stamp lettering set (or would that be a lettering stamp set?), then fill with colored epoxy and sand.

Reply to
Mark

What about using a lettered marking punch. See:

Novak Buffalo, NY - USA

Reply to
Nova

On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 20:20:34 -0600, "Will Self" pixelated:

Hey, that's when my bowsaur project is due out! Amazing coinkydink, wot?

-- "Not always right, but never uncertain." --Heinlein -=-=-

Wondrous Website Design

Reply to
Larry Jaques

2113? Is this going to be another Microsoft "Chicago" deal? ;-)

-- Jack Novak Buffalo, NY - USA

Reply to
Nova