Re: Building kitchen cabinets - any cost savings?

Page 3 of 5

"Owen Lawrence" wrote in message

thing
Thanks. The granite countertops are now installed and they are gorgeous. I took some pictures yesterday, but unfortunately only after they were covered up with contractor's paper while the backsplash goes on. I'll try to do an update of that page this weekend.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/25/05

covered
Pictures posted of installed granite ... mostly contractor paper, however.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/01/05
Swingman wrote:

"Pat Barber" wrote in message

I have samples of stain shades right now applied to the same wood the cabinets are made of, and also applied to the crown molding and baseboards in the general area, but I am waiting for the hardwood floor guys to get theirs to us for comparison.
The crown molding in the kitchen and family area, and the cabinets will probably be a somewhat darker shade of the same stain, and the floors will be a bit lighter.
I let my ID choose the shades as I am basically color blind, except that I can tell you if what I see is too light or too dark for my taste. They are always saying things like "that has quite a bit of red in it" ... goes right over my head. Hell, once I'd been working on a RGB monitor for hours and was not aware that the "R" pin in the monitor cable was shorted until someone pointed it out.
Since I've never seen it, I don't miss it.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/01/05
Swingman wrote:

"David" wrote in message

Yep. I can always tell the green because it is lighter, looks an off white and is very distinct, day or night. And during the day the red is darker than yellow, but at night it is a toss up between the two.
I do have a problem with flashing caution or stop lights at night ... but I have developed methods to deal with that down through the years.
Recently there is new development: left turn lights that stay lit, but change colors ... a diabolical move for the color blind. I've only seen one in Houston thus far, and it would have thrown me if it had not been for my usual cautious self.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/06/05

Really a strange development when you think about it. With all of the issues related to ADA, some of the draconian enforcement, and some of the really odd things that get classified as disabilities that goes with it, it is really strange that a fairly common occurence such as color-blindness was not accounted for in a product that is used almost exclusively by government agencies.
"Mark & Juanita" wrote in message

it
I just chalked it up to the incompetence that goes hand-in-glove with the declining level of intelligence of government employees, particularly in urban areas ... examples abound:
I am apparently a wanted man ... by the city of Detroit, MI ... and I've never been within five hundred miles of the damn place. I traded in a car to a dealer two years ago and apparently whoever bought it from the dealer got a $75 parking ticket in Detroit shortly afterwards. The Detroit authorities have been trying to intimidate/threaten me with a warrant here in Texas for the better part of a year.
No amount of documentation, or reasoning, will convince them that when you transfer a car title in Texas, the license plates go with the car.
I now fully appreciate that being forced to repeatedly deal with blind, uncaring stupidity like that is why the phrase "going postal" is in increasing vogue.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/06/05

Take solace in the fact that you're not the only one that is experiencing crap like this. Fifteen years ago, I got rid of an aging car at a junk yard up here in Toronto, Canada. Eight years ago, some employee of our vaunted Ministry of Transportation started calling me to say that I owed money on a parking ticket that was issued four years after I got rid of the car. Approximately every two years after that, I receive a collection notice from someone trying to collect for the same parking ticket and every time I have to spend twenty minutes on the phone explaining why it has nothing to do with me. The only saving grace now is if they demand some type of documentation, I have a doctor's note stating that I'm confined to a wheelchair and I didn't have a valid driver's licence at the time the parking ticket was issued.
For anyone keeping up with the continuing saga of the new residential kitchen cabinet project: The cabinets, after the finish was applied, were covered for the past couple of weeks to protect them from the ongoing paint spraying on surrounding walls of the new house.
They have been recently uncovered and the doors installed. Pictures posted.
http://www.e-woodshop.net/Projects7.htm
www.e-woodshop.net Last update: 5/20/05

Looks fantastic, Swing!
Congratulations!
"Tom Watson" wrote in message

Thanks Tom ... enjoyed talking to you the other day. Now, if we could just upgrade your taste in music ....
;)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/14/05

Everyone on this newsgroup should know about the sweet music that you guys play.
I've been listening to it almost every day, at least once, and I'm listening to it now.
It's so damned crying good that it should be more widely available.
I'm dead flat out serious about this.
(watson - Wild River Band fan).
On Mon, 23 May 2005 15:02:18 -0500, the inscrutable "Swingman"

Careful, Swingy. You've got a full-blown groupie on your hands. ;)
- The only reason I would take up exercising is || http://diversify.com so that I could hear heavy breathing again. || Programmed Websites
On Mon, 23 May 2005 20:23:20 -0700, Larry Jaques
Man, if I was in a band that attracted half century old busted up carpenters for groupies, I'd quit.
On Tue, 24 May 2005 21:23:16 -0400, the inscrutable Tom Watson

Indubitably, my dear Watson.
- The only reason I would take up exercising is || http://diversify.com so that I could hear heavy breathing again. || Programmed Websites
Tom Watson wrote:

Your day job to go on the road full time?
Barry
Is it red oak? What Wood Finish did you use (hard to see in pic #21)?
Chuck

"CNT" wrote in message

Red oak ... the flash increased the contrast of the wood grain much more than you see with the naked eye. The stain is a mix that the paint contractor came up with, and my ID approved. I don't see colors, but I do like the stain _shade_ in both natural and indoor lighting much better than it photographs with my digital camera and its built-in flash.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/14/05