Re: Building kitchen cabinets - any cost savings?

Page 2 of 5

On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 07:46:39 -0500, "Jason Quick"

Jelousy is such an ugly emotion ;-) Keep looking, there are bargins out there.
-
Just for grins, and as if I didn't already have enough to do, I started a blow-by-blow of the installation of a kitchen, in new residential construction of mine, on the Projects Journal, page 7, of my web site below.
Those of you who are thinking of doing your own may find it interesting ... and particularly the many of you who requested copies of the .dwg files and CutList Plus files, you will be able to see what the actual beast is going to look like in the flesh.
Still a couple or three weeks from door, drawer and hardware installation, so stay tuned.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/14/05

Ya know Swing, I really enjoy your website.
It's one of those that I keep going back to.
I like LRod's, too.
Tommy Plamann's site is always fun to go back to when you haven't been there in a while.
Maybe we should have a thread about good Wrecker's sites.
Mine is out, I only change it about once every two years.
Some guys really keep updating them and include a bunch of useful stuff on them.

So start one, but don't hide it in the replies to this thread.
charlie b's site is a good one, and ought to get a mention. Jeff Gorman's, too.
Hey, didn't we just do one of these?
Patriarch
"Tom Watson" wrote in message

Why Thank You!, Tom.

Coming from you, I really appreciate hearing that!

Yep .. me too.

I go there for inspiration ... a higher _class_ of inspiration.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/14/05
"Pat Barber" wrote in message

You're right ... they haven't even been down three days in the kitchen area at this point.

Construction _is_ a "mess" from day one ... I am always glad when it's final cleanup time, in more ways than one.

The boxes themselves will be installed. Then the carcasses and FF's will be sanded, stained, sealed and sprayed, with the floors following suit. Doors, drawer fronts, drawers and add-ons are finished separately and not installed until the floors are completely done.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/14/05

So wait...you stain/finish the carcasses on-site? What's the rationale/benefits of doing that, as opposed to doing it in the shop?
Jason (clueless)
"Jason Quick" wrote in message

Good question. Keep in mind, this is not my personal kitchen, so other than the fact that I have designed, built and installed it, there is little economic incentive to go past a certain point, to wit: not use a professional finishing crew who will be there already.
So, besides being the GC, with a tiny shop, and having other things to do, having a professional paint contractor who works to spec, follows a sanding schedule, is set up to spray lacquer, has a well trained crew, can do it in a quarter of the time, and actually makes it economically feasible in his bid, why bother?
But it ain't always that way ... and just because I _can_ do my own finishing, doesn't mean I have to. :)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/14/05

THAT'S the part that earns you the traditional wReck commentary! You suck!
The rest of us are looking at buying $1500 worth of gear, to learn a craft with new tools and constantly changing chemistry, to say we did it all ourselves. And 'saved' a few dollars.
Sometimes the math doesn't work...
Patriarch, hoping no one asks about the economics of _his_ hobby shop...

Oh yummy!
(Rob drools at all the square footages of granite or e-stone he could sell there. *S*) Too nice a kitchen for that plastic Corian crap. <G>
I still like the look of face-frame. Who started this European style cabinetry shit anyways? I completely agree with your stance on 'zero-loss' cabinets. Spacers look lazy.
Can't wait to see the finished project.
*tips hat*
Rob
"Swingman" wrote in message news:...

below.
Results of last day and a half is posted, if you've been keeping up.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/14/05
Swingman wrote:

"Pat Barber" wrote in message

In new construction there is not much point in finishing them before the countertops and backspashes go in, because they are just going to get splattered and covered in abrasive dust, which tends to dulls any finish no matter how much care you take in trying to cover them up.
So, to answer your question, they will be finished on-site by the painting contractor, who has the contract for the new residence, according to a very specific spec sheet. He's worked for me in the past and knows exactly how I want it done. Since they're oak and will be stained, we are also currently deciding upon the complimentary tones for the floors, stairs and railing trim which are close by, and the oak crown molding in that room.
I lost my helper Saturday and am having to finish up the carcase installation and substrate by myself yesterday and today. As of last evening I have all the base and wall cabinets installed, and the substrate for the granite installed on those, and have only the island left to do for this morning (and I pretty well got them leveled and ready before I quit yesterday, so it shouldn't take but an hour or two today to get all ready for the tile and granite crew scheduled for tomorrow).
I will spend the next week making dovetail drawers ... at this point I am looking forward to changing gears from awkward large boxes, to small boxes easily handled by one old man. :)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/17/05
Swingman wrote:

"Pat Barber" wrote in message

Agreed ... and I realize that and try to take care of him, which is not hard as he is a real gentleman, from Mexico, and a class act altogether.

Around here also. Two things sell a house in this area: Master Bedroom Suite and Kitchen ... so far it's been worth the effort put into those two areas.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/17/05
Swingman wrote:

"Pat Barber" wrote in message

Not in this case ... the top rails are 2 1/2" wide, leaving plenty or room for the trim, with the speced 1/2" reveal between the top of the door and the bottom of the crown.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/25/05

Dude! Your kitchen is spectacular!