Re: Brookhaven or Kitchen Craft Cabinets?

The Certified Kitchen Designer sold us Kitchen Craft and when they were delivered I renamed him Certifiable! I'd not buy them if I knew then what I know now.
On 14 Aug 2003 16:31:15 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Irina) wrote:

I don't know about Kitchen Craft but I can tell you that we had our kitchen remodeled in 1993 with Brookhaven cabinets and 10 years later they still look beautiful and I'm very happy with them. About the worst that's gone wrong is a couple of hinges that have needed readjusting now and then over the years. No structural problems at all and the finish looks as good as the day they were installed,
On 14 Aug 2003 16:31:15 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Irina) wrote:

Second that! Our kitchen redo cabinets are from Kitchen Craft and the "Certifiable" Kitchen Designer called the carcase "Quality particleboard" whatever that might be. Plastic coating over 11/16" particleboard doesn't support a papertowel hanger when the maker expects 3/4" stock so screws protrude and knock out coating inside the cabinet! Keep looking for local guy that uses 3/4" ply!

Before making up your mind, get some bids from local cabinetmakers and see what it would cost to have them custom made locally. You can often get better quality cabinets for the same, or a lower, price; you won't have to deal with wasted space from standard sized, mass produced cabinets (no matter how pretty they look in the pictures, they never quite seem to live up to expectation when installed); and you should get problems along the way solved much quicker ... it is almost guaranteed there will be some potential 'show stoppers' at some point along the way.
That said, are you certain that you need new cabinets? New doors, drawer fronts, and upgrading visible side panels can make an old kitchen new again for a lot less.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 8/11/03