Re: Bringing used Wowing machines across border - OOPS. Pressed "send prematurely

>>> My how times have changed. >>> >>> During the '80's, actively sailed the Great Lakes, mostly Lake Erie. >>> >>> It was not uncommon to sail over to Canada and back to US on a >>> summer week end. > ------------------------------------------------------ > "Morgans" wrote: > >> Dang, I was active on Lake Erie sailing from mid 70's to the mid to late >> 80's. I wonder if we ever did the "where there are two sailboats, there >> will be a race" thing, together? >> >> I sailed out of Port Clinton, ranged from Toledo to Kelly's Island to the >> Put-in-Bay area. Oday 25, reworked with a Yanmar diesel inboard, >> ourselves. > ----------------------------------------------------------- > Bought a Seafarer 30 with a Yanmar YSM 10, one lunger in Fairport and > spent a year there, then spent 3 years in Cleveland. > > Moved west to Lorain and finally Sandusky. > > Nice part about it was that Rondeau was about 52-54 miles across > Lake Erie from any one of those locations. > > The farther west I moved, the shorter the trip to the islands. > > Put-In-Bay was it's own reward. > > Understand there have been a lot of changes to Rondeau and also > Kelleys.

Haven't been back except to Put-in for many years. It is growing, too. I guess we never went up against each other, but it is interesting that we have somewhat common background on the lake. I used to do the Sandusky Cedar Point sail and park weekend every year. Those were some good, good times.

The reason to put in a Yanmar was for one, an incident at Cedar Point marina. Leaving, the wind was blowing right towards the rip rap as you turned to enter the bay. As soon as I turned, the damn outboard died. Knowing how this often happened, and at the worst times, I also knew there was not time to get a restart. I had a bunch of rookies onboard, except my girlfriend who was a still learning, but somewhat competent sailor. I ordered the main sail up, and they managed to get it shook out and raised, just in time (20 feet) from hitting the rocks. Next year, dad toured the ODay plant and talked with them on how to best retrofit the Yanmar, and bought a few of the parts. It was a pretty good jig and engineering problem, drilling an approximate 1 1/4" hole at about a 15 degree angle through more than 2 feet of hull. It involved a big plywood jig to hold a hole saw pilot bit that had been extended to be about 3 feet long.

I think the one lung Yanmar we got was a 7HP. It was big enough to drive the boat to hull speed. I did like the increased reliability. :-)

Reply to
Morgans

Never going to happen.

The only thing I ever raced for was down below for another cold one.

----------------------------------------------------------- Toledo was about the only port on Lake Erie that I didn't reach.

------------------------------------------------------------- Sounds like a YSM-8, the baby brother of the YSM-12 (10 HP) I had.

Yes, those were some fun years.

Lew