Re: Brand Loyalty?

I was considering a Mag77 for the longest time but finally bought a Craftsman 12A w/Laser Track. The 77 is one hell of a good saw but it was 5x as much as a standard saw. The selling point was the Laser Track. When doing plywood for a roofing job I found that cutting the plywood required being up on top of the plywood sheet at all times to keep the saw cutting along the chalk line. The laser made the job much easier. I might still get a Mag77 if I can justify the price. I still think is top of the line.
My 2c Tom Teamcasa ( snipped-for-privacy@teamcasadot.org) wrote: : Nope - I tend to just the best tool for the job. Before buying any : particular tool, ask or look to see what to the professionals use in that : application. : For example, I would not normally consider Skil a brand name worth using. : However, the Skilsaw Mag77 is the best framing saw made. It's the saw of : choice for framers (West Coast USA).
: The sting of price is brief, the pain from a cheap tool lasts considerable : longer.
: Dave : An unmitigated tool junkie.
:
I buy whatever seems to best fit my needs (short vs med vs long term) at the time at the best cost to benefit ratio. That usually means posting here, reading your feedback, checking 2 or 3 magazine reviews, kicking the tires. I like to take the mag reviews, and your 2 cents, and with the tool in-hand (at a WW show, store, etc) apply my tests. Can I substantiate the pros/cons another has noted? Are they applicable to my needs? Do I care about functionality X? Will I care in 6-12 months? At what cost?
I'm stilling trying to find a Ryobi OSS500 to test ;-) Looks like I missed that one. Ah well, they'll be another.
Ah, yes, and then in a few years it all changes..
I dumped my 8.5" Hitachi SCMS for a 12" dual bevel Dewalt CMS because of bench space!!!! Go figure, benchtop space!!! But I got the CMS for $200 at a WW show for a refurb.
But I'm still happy with my "Made in the USA" Delta contractor saw. Yeah, it's 1.5hp. But I don't cut 3" hard maple, and the blade has never even come close to getting bogged down. And I can waste all kinds of time "tuning it" ;-)
I do consider the brand. If price and functionality is close, I'd chose a "better" brand. I have a Craftsman 14.4V cordless drill, the EX model, that I got for $69. No complaints. I could have paid 2x or 3x more for a "better" brand, but I'm pretty sure I'd not have gotten the same value.

It has to me in the past- I've got all DeWalt for my framing and general carpentry tools (and I'm still very happy with those) and Delta for my stationary power tools. Unfortunately, the last few Delta purchases I've made have been a little less than impressive, and the customer service seems to have slid a little since they merged with Porter-Cable, so I'm considering looking around a bit more, and finding a new brand for my shop.
So the short answer is yes, brand loyalty means something to me- as long as the quality is there. When the brand goes downhill, it's time for me to bail out.
Aut inveniam viam aut faciam
Just to "clarify" :
Delta "did not" merge with Porter Cable.
They are two seperate companies.
They are both owned by a single parent company known as Pentair, which just sold both companies to Black & Decker, who owns many other companies including Dewalt.
Prometheus wrote:

Pat Barber wrote:

It should also be noted that the "merger" took place in 1960.
UA100
Unisaw A-100 wrote:

Interesting though that the last time I called Delta support 800-number the operator answered w/ "Porter Cable/Delta" which had never happened to me before--it had been within the year I think to last previous time...don't know what precipitated the change or whether it was an aberration????

They may not have merged, but both companies were both by the same parent company giving the same result as them merging.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

I was just commenting that <something> has changed relatively recently...<somebody> made a decision to emphasize the Porter Cable overDelta, even answering the Delta 800 support line...
The regional support centers were rolled together to handle customer issues. These offices handle broken parts,repairs,etc,etc. It actually made sense to "merge" that function but it proved painful in some cases.
You ended up with folks who were 100% on PC products attempting to answer Delta related questions. The same was true of Delta folks trying the reverse of that.
This resulted in a lot of pain and suffering on the part of the customer. It's better but not 100% fixed.
Duane Bozarth wrote:

Pat Barber wrote:

I phoned into the same old central Delta technical support service -- no problem getting to Delta engineering support, just the initial phone response before the transfer was answered w/ the lead-in of "P C" as opposed to the former Delta