re-boring a 10mm saw blade arbor to 1/2"

My little 5 1/2 Skill saw ( 1/2" arbor) is in need of a 24+ tooth blade with 1/2" or 5/8" arbor to cut plywood. I used to be able to get them from several sources. Now only Amazon advertises a Freud 5 3/8 carbide with 5/8 arbor (which proved to have 10mm arbors upon first shipping and replacement). Can't get the Freud larger than 10mm. Amana has an 18 tooth carbide blade w/ 5/8th arbor but it still splinters plywood. Same with Oldson Max blades. I am wondering if a good machine shop would be able to re-bore a 10mm blade to 1/2" without it wobbling off center dangerously. Anyone know what type of bit would fit a 10mm hole and then drill it to 1/2"? Anyone else have this 5 1/2 Skill saw and experiencing this problem?

Reply to
bookman

| I am | wondering if a good machine shop would be able to re-bore a 10mm | blade to 1/2" without it wobbling off center dangerously.

Yes.

Morris Dovey

All of the saw sharpening service places that I deal with can also rebore the blades to accommodate larger arbors.

Reply to
Nova

I had the same problem with a small 5 ½ " saw my father used to build our house in the early 50's. The saw has sentimental value and I wanted to continue using the machine. All the 5 ½" blade arbor holes are under size. To solve the problem I used a step drill to enlarge the blade hole to match the saw arbor. Cheep, easy and no wobble.

MGH

Reply to
MGH

I have the same problem with my two mini Skills. I just use a reamer to bring the new blades close to size and then use a machinist's three sided scraper to bring them to size. An acceptable scraper can be made from an old triangular file. Love those old saws.

Chuck P.

Reply to
Pilgrim