Re: Bessey K-Bodies on sale at HD

Page 1 of 2
Thanks for the heads up - I was in this morning, and they were still regular price. Went back this evening after I read your post, and the yellow tags were up.
I've been in several times a week for the past month or more, just waiting to pick them up on sale....I'm not sure if that's pathetic, or just enthusiastic about woodworking! Hey I'll admit it, I enjoy finding a good deal on tools, I enjoy finding a good deal on wood, and I really enjoy the time I'm able to spend out in my garage "shop" making dust - I'm not sure if I'd consider it "sacred", but it's really, really close!
The prices here - York, PA - don't sound as good - the 40" were $33 (regular $39.95), the 30" were $30. The 24" were $25. The 50" were $34 (regular $44.95). I'm sure they have some pricing scale by area. I wonder if Lowes would match their pricing plus 5%??? Maybe that would just be greedy on my part.
I picked up some 40" and some 30". I think I'll probably go back tomorrow morning and get a couple of the 50". With the Tradsman's I picked up, I'm in pretty good shape now, for what I do now. But, I'll still look forward to the day that I say, "I need more clamps!!"
Not too consistent on the pricing from area to area, but I'm just grateful to get the discount, and not pay full retail for them! And I'm just grateful to be able to buy them and be able to do some woodworking! Good luck on this one, I hope everyone gets a share of it -
Nick B

Actually, the prices you wrote are the same as mine - I was quoting percentages off (rough ones).

anybody else think that this is simply a gimmick? People "staking out" their local HD for the "yellow tags" is crazy. Thanks Norm...
IMHO even at the "sale" prices they are still over-priced when you look at what you get (and do the math in your head about how much it costs to make one of those things).
I'll avoid the frenzy and keep adding to the pipe-clamp collection...$12 for 3/4" Ponies plus a few bucks for the pipe that I can customize to suit my needs. Those and a big collection of C-clamps, spring clamps, ratchet straps and other various implements have worked ok for me with only the minor inconvenience of occasionally using scraps to avoid marring the edges.

On Thu, 01 Apr 2004 03:17:36 GMT, "Tom Kohlman"

Do you have any K's?
I have all kinds of clamps, K Bodies have more advantages than non-marring faces. The faces always stay parallel to each other and square to the bar.
Barry
I have 2 Ks but reach for them only in cases where I need their "features". For me they are overpriced and too heavy. Regular bar clamps, quick clamps, spring, C and lots of pipe clamps work fine for most everything. I have some of the Rockler pipe clams and like the features but again they are just too heavy (3/4" pipe) for every job. Hopefully they will come out with a 1/2" style or somebody will make aluminum pipe in a size to use with pipe clamps. Rockler you listening? :-)
BRuce
Tom Kohlman wrote:

--
---

BRuce

On Thu, 01 Apr 2004 07:19:14 -0500, BRuce <BRuce> wrote:

To a market of one? I doubt it.
- - LRod
Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999
http://www.woodbutcher.net
"Tom Kohlman" wrote in message

I agree ... they do cost too damn much for what they are, but, IME, not necessarily for what they do.

I have at least 20 pipe clamp setups of various sizes, but since I picked up a dozen K-Bodies I wouldn't use anything else for a panel or case goods glue-up if I had the choice, simply for the ease in which they clamp 'flat and square'.
With the Bessey's, I no longer experience that flex in wider glue-ups with 3/4" pipe that can bow the parts unless you take extra steps, which aren't always as successful as I'd like.
IOW, the time saved in having a flat, squared, glue-up is basically what I paid the price for, and I have to say it's been a bargain in the long run, at least for my way of working.
I recently glued a 46" wide panel where I had only two Bessey's that would fit. With the application of the very first pipe clamp I could see the bow starting.toward the side where the pipe clamps were and had to go back to using weights, cauls, and alternating sides to hold the piece flat.
I did get my K-Bodies on sale for at least 40% off at various times, so you can buy right ... unfortunately, and having got used to the convenience, I now feel the need for at least two more ... insidious little bastids, that they are.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 3/27/04

Tom, I dont have any K's so I dont know if they are worth it. I have been looking to get some, but the price has scared me away.
I have been building a collection of pipe clamps as well and really like the new Rockler Clamps over the Ponies. They can be had on sale from Rocler for $10 each.
Darrell
On 1 Apr 2004 08:33:05 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@ev1.net (Darrell) wrote:

I picked up a couple 31 inch ones today in Frederick Md... that gives me 6 of those and an even dozen of the 24 inch ones... Was tempted to pick up a couple more 40's..BUT the Price vs Need deal made me forget that idea... The entire worth of the K body in my opinion is the darn things clamp square ..that is worth quite a bit to me (or has been anyway)
Bob Griffiths

I bought two 24" and two 31" to add to my collection of a total 8 Bessey K-body clamps. I've found these to be very useful and they are my favorite, so I had to buy more!
Because of diminishing returns, they are not 3 times better than a pipe clamp, even though they cost 3 times more.
But, they are so much better, that I don't think I'll buy any other type of long clamp again, and I'm somewhat of a cheap-skate. I used a Woodcraft gift certificate to pick up a couple 36" Ks, to "treat" myself. Man, I'm addicted now.

I get mine on birthdays,Christmas,etc,etc.
Once you get around 10 or so K-bodies, there is no going back to pipe clamps.
I'm up to around 30 or so Tradesman since the Home Depot thing...
Mike Reed wrote:

Gimmick??? I have eight pipe clamps like you describe, and after adding two 30" K's from HD this morning ($30/each), I have eight Bessey K/Cabinet Masters. I think the pipes are going to be getting very lonely in the clamp rack.
I still prefer the Cabinet Masters, but not for $7 more a clamp.
Joe

No yellow tags in Menomonee Falls, WI but the prices seemed lower. Guy stocking the shelves claimed they were regular price, but I see now they are the same as the sale prices you quoted.
I might have to make a trip back.
Joe

In my case, no yellow tags either. They printed new white tags and stuck them over the old ones. I peeled off a few to see the old prices.

I have been following these Bessey threads. While I was working my wife called the three HDs around. One had "a bunch" of K-bodies. It was the HD on Perring parkway on the Baltimore, MD city line. Not the one on Joppa & Perring--they have none left. I told her if they are discounted around $9 off each get some of each.
I love her to death! She bought 2 50", 4 41", 4 31" and 4 24". I guess birthday and Father's day shopping is done.
She said there are 4 50", a couple 31" and 24" left.
Dave

Same at Chesapeake, VA store. The 24's were $10 off and the 30's were about $8 off. I broke down and got two each. Joey in Chesapeake

<snippage of lotsa stuff>
I noticed when I went in today, and picked up 6 of these (4*31, 2*40), that not all of these had the standoff clip in the far end, or even the hole for it. Older stock, maybe?
Do any of you experienced folk have a Yankee upgrade for this condition?
Enquiring minds want to know....
Patriarch, who really needs to do some cabinets for a kitchen now.
Local Borg had about 10 of the 24in for $25 ($9 off normal price)
However, www.allprotools.com has the 32in GrossStabil PC2s for $22.90 each, and since I like the PC2s just as well as the Besseys, the price break on the PC2s was so much better that instead of the onsale 24in Bessy's, I order the 32in PC2s instead
John
On Thu, 1 Apr 2004 21:16:08 -0500, "David Bridgeman"

I caught my limit at the HD on hwy 6 North at FM 529 in Houston last night. Threw back a couple of 50's and a couple of 24's for someone else to catch.
John