Re: Bending wood and making dice

The snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com entity posted thusly:

Used to carpentry, I usually make puzzles/brainteasers etc. Recently I >joined a games group and dice are involved. Not just 6 sided die. Well >I was wondering on how I would go about making a dice cup that can be >used to to store the dice too. Since I have no access to a lathe I >can't use that option, so I hunted in the workshop and found a sheet of >ply wood 1/16 thick 4 inches wide. Perfect size for my dice cup. >Trouble is how do I go about bending this into a perfect circle. I did >some research and found steaming is an option but I'm short on space >and funds to build a steamer. Is there any other option I could use? >And can plywood be bent around into a perfect cylinder? > >Also any ideas on making dice, looks like an interesting project to >try. Should be easy with a 6 sided die but the others should be a >laugh, especially the 20 sided.[:-?]

Plywood will not readily form a perfect circle because of its construction, and because the ends need to butt together, leaving a weak spot that will always be out of whack.

I would form it with steamed veneer. Rolls of various widths are available from better wood places (don't bother with the BORG (Home Depot or Lowes). It's available in a lot of different woods.

I suggest posting your question on rec.woodworking for a better range of ideas.

Reply to
Oleg Lego

Boiling is always a good substitute for steaming......I am not sure about bending plywood though. Dave

Reply to
Dave W

Reply to
Bob Meyer

What's a dice cup, about 2.5 inch diameter by 3 inches high? That means that you need pieces about 8x3 steamed. You should be able to do that on the kitchen stove in a stockpot.

Reply to
J. Clarke

The Oleg Lego entity posted thusly:

Sorry about that, folks! I was perusing another newsgroup, and somehow, I must have hit a key or key combination that put me into a local folder containing postings from the Wreck. I thought I was answering a current posting, from the other newsgroup. Turns out I was answering a post made in January.

Oh well, prompted another few ideas. :-)

Reply to
Oleg Lego