Re: Battery operated tools and appropriate technology

"Tom Watson" wrote in message

Damn ... I hope you didn't have all that hanging off a toolbelt! ;)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 1/02/07

You done hit on a sore spot.
I was looking at my California Style Leather Toolbelt the other day (you know the one - costs a weeks pay and weighs twenty pounds empty - they'll sell you shoulder straps with lamb's wool pads, 'cause they know a normal man can't bear the full burden on his hips - yeah, that one).
Just lookin' at it made me tired, so I spent about an hour knocking together an old timey tote, with a closet rod for a handle and no dividers to add weight, or nuthin'.
Now, I can fit my needed non-battery operated, non-pneumatic tools into the thing and get damned near everything done that I need to get done around here. I did put a 24" Rigid wrench into it the other day - and that was wrong - but if I only keep carpenter tools in it - she swings sweet and carries light.
I reckon I'll sell that leather belt.
Regards,
Tom Watson
tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1 /
"Tom Watson" wrote in message

Like this?
www.e-woodshop.net/images/BubbaBox.jpg
Still gets packed for every onsite job.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 1/02/07

How does it hang on your belt?
<...snipped...>

Couldn't you just have told her you wanted to watch the game?
--
No dumb questions, just dumb answers.

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote in

Gee, you make me feel special. I work on Habitat houses, and the insurance company won't allow power tools. We just built one from frames constructed in Grand Rapids and shipped to Fort Worth as part of the Katrina effort.
Steve wrote:

I didn't mean any insult to someone that doesn't do it for a living. I didn't even mean it towards someone that does it for a living... it is a sign of changing times and technology, and in these days where speed means everything to anyone associated with a contracted project, nail guns are the ticket.
Coupled with the fact that the learning curve is 1/1000 of learning to drive all different kinds of nails, they are indeed the only for today's work and workers.
Robert
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote in

No offense taken. Actually, I do do it for a living. The first day we started framing, I asked if I could bring my power tools. They politely told me, "No".
Interestingly, they DO provide palm nailers, and provided me a finish nailer to put up window trim. There was a group of accountants there that day, and I had a great time teaching one how to use the power nailer.

If I were writing insurance for an unknown group of volunteers, building houses, I'd think long and hard about some of the power tools, too. Air nails don't always go where they were expected to go.
Thanks, BTW, for the work on Habitat. It's a very good thing, and the Gulf Coast still needs it a lot.
Patriarch

Aw, hell, it was just for grins.
See this nine pound hammer (nine pound hammer) Is a little too heavy (little too heavy) For my size (for my size) For my size
Now roll on buddy (roll on buddy) Don't you roll so slow (roll so slow) How can I roll (how can I roll) When the wheels won't go
etc.
Regards,
Tom Watson (Fairly Unbalanced)