Re: Base for a grizzly 6" jointer

-linux_lad wrote in news:3u- dnSEwQZtDk snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

The base on my 6" grizzly jointer is too flimsy for my tastes. It > vibrates even though I've carefully adjusted the motor and cutterhead > pulleys to be on the same plane, and I've even gone as far as putting a > thin layer of hard rubber tape between joints the sheetmetal to reduce > vibration and noise, but it's just not enough. What I would like to do > is build a solid base out of 3/4" MDF. The heft and rigidity of the new > case would be an order of magnitude better than the flimsy sheet metal > case. Has anyone done this before? If so, how did you handle the motor > mount? I intend to mount the motor with the mounting plate facing down > instead of that bizarre angle Grizzly uses (because the motor is mounted > to the exterior of the dust chute). I'm planning to secure the motor by > bolting it to a solid 1 1/2" platform mounted perpendicular to the > interior walls of the MDF case (a side view of this would look like an > "H" with the motor sitting in on the crossmember between the verticals). > This would give me a nice clearance for a 4" elbow for chip collection. > If anyone had a drawing or photo of your version of this idea I'd be > grateful. If not, I suppose I'll post my final result if anyone wants to > see it. >

Have you thought of leaving the metal frame in place and wrapping it in MDF or plywood? Just screw panels to the outside of the existing frame. It will add mass and stability.

Reply to
Joe Willmann