Re: bandsaw accident report

Page 1 of 2
I'm glad to hear that you were not inured worse than you were. For some reason, bandsaws seem so benign but they seem to always be "waiting" for their moment.
djd

A 1 tpi blade cut you? Ouch!!!
Glenn

Posts such as that continue to remind me that complacency can have tragic results. To be frank, I worry more about those who feel they are above such reminders because they feel it can't / won't happen to them. Unfortunately, that is where such complacency normally strikes sooner than later.
DJ

V.E. Dorn wrote:

I feel no sense of complacency when working with my tools. It's the gloat status people assign to these injuries, even posting pictures to a.b.p.w
kevin

I appreciate the reminder. It will affect my behavior, because he claimed full responsibility for it. His mental state was the same as I would have when they think I think I am working safely. The worst thing for my safety is the lack of accidents. It builds a sense of getting used to operations being safe. I try to always try to consciously focus on the sharp, motorized, moving cutting edges as much as the cut I am making. (And which direction I am pressing my hands toward, which is sometimes, unavoidably, the sharp cutting edges.)

such
Unfortunately,
You are absolutely correct. Never think that it could not happen to you.

No kidden?
Those of us that are not "super humans" appreciate the fact that accidents happen no matter how careful you THINK you are.

To those that are observant it may make a difference but will probably not for those "super humans".

No Doubt. Trolls usually don't.
I'm of the opinion that these posts are a reminder to the rest of us that accidents happen in the blink of an eye. I don't share your idea that they are "gloats"? The OP didn't appear to be bragging, did he??
Yesterday while chatting with my neighbors, the husband had his Crapsman TS on the sidewalk next to his house so that he could cut 2x4"s "on-site" for trimming out a bay window. I watched in fasination at his stupidity in freehanding oblique cuts with no eye protection, and while standing in line with the blade. After he did that a couple of times I mentioned to him the mantra of standing to the side, ALWAYS wear goggles, and NEVER freehand a cut. He even had a miter gauge sitting on the TS!! Needless to say, when I mentioned the goggles, his wife got on his case too. She's got more sense than he does, apparently.
dave
Other Brother Kevin wrote:

I think that "I don't get it" is going to get it, the hard way. After he runs his hand up against a moving blade one time, he will forever tell people to be careful. Until then, I think that just the idea that it could happen to him scares him so badly that he doesn't want to even think of it, much less being reminded by others that it will happen to him. And if he is lucky, like some of us, he won't loose anything.
I wish him all the best, and hope that he never finds out the hard way how easy it is to loose parts on himself.
Jack

One thing that constantly scares me anytime I get around power tools (or guns, or aircraft, or cars) is that a mere moment of inattention can do irrepairable harm. Private pilots tend to have their first (and last) accident at around 300 hours, when they they get too comfortable behind the stick. I'll bet the same thing happens to woodworkers after they've used a TS or BS for a couple hundred hours.
I hope I never get less respectful of my power tools than I am of my handgun.
-- Howard Lee Harkness Texas Certified Concealed Handgun Instructor www.CHL-TX.com snipped-for-privacy@CHL-TX.com
Gee, I must not be the norm; I almost stuck a wing into the ground at the San Jose Airport on my second or third ever landing. There was a bit of a crosswind and my training hadn't covered that yet!! Fortunately for myself and my instructor, she quickly grabbed the controls and punched the throttle to get us heading straight and level. That gave me quite an adreneline rush. The only manuevors that provided that much of a thrill was a stall in an unfamiliar plane. I usually trained in one or two planes, but I ended up training at a different flight school, Amelia Reed near the end of my flying days. The planes I usually flew had a noticeable instability when they reached stall, but that last sucker I flew kept its nose pointing straight ahead, and wings level. BTW, I was flying "under the hood", so I had no visual reference or our attitude. Then the instructor calmly informed me to take a look at the altimeter. We were falling straight down like a rock and I couldn't feel it. She warned me to gently recover or we would be in deep doo doo. The feeling of recovering from that stall was like the wildest ride at an amusement park times 10. Whoa!
dave
Howard Lee Harkness wrote:

bay area dave wrote:

There you go Howard mentions planes crashes and someones got to go OT and Gloat about a near miss
not gloating; merely reminiscing. get over it, bro.
dave
Other Brother Kevin wrote:

They were one lucky group! I'm envisioning your buddy telling his friends, "I was just showing off my stunt flying skills for you guys; we weren't ever in any real danger". Like Chevy Chase acts when he's asleep at the wheel of the Queen Family Truckster in "Vacation" and the car ends up in the motel parking lot--he said something to the effect of "OK, everyone, were here; up and at um!" . He is nonchalant about their sleeping car ride.
dave
Leon wrote: snip

friends, "I

in any

No... I thik he almost "Sheet" his pants....
Godsword wrote:

I have a Healthy Respect for my tools and whether I've been bit or will be bit by one of them is not the issue. I say again it's the GLOAT STATUS people that with these accidients.

I heard you the first time. No need to keep repeating yourself unless you think couting coup is better than Gloating.
I do agree that some folks do GLOAT about how much they suffered, how they narrowly avoided death, or whatever.
That's fine by me. I prefer learning from their mistakes over in- dependent discovery.
--

FF

Some people learn from history. Others are doomed to repeat it.
Bob Haar wrote:

Now YOU are repeating everyone else.
If I want to learn the proper way to use a machine I'm not going to start here.
Kevin
There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves. Will Rogers
snipped-for-privacy@lycos.com wrote:

I can only imagine. Never have used a wood bandsaw. They turn fast, don't they? My metal bandsaw stays permanently dialed for 80 fpm. I'm ever aware that the thing cuts through steel like butter, but yet I don't find it terribly intimidating because it's so slow, and fine-toothed (28 tpi).

I never really thought about the two-hand rule, but thinking about it now, it's a *good* idea. I had a similarly bone-headed misadventure grinding off one of my knuckles on my spare hand.