Re: Anyone used the external router speed control

Hi Spin, This was a much discussed topic in the past. To see the range of opinions go to
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&safe=off&group=rec.woodworking
and type in router speed control. Cheers, JG
spin doctor wrote:

I wouldn't think that it's intended as the power switch while in operation. That's what the router power switch is for.
But if you mount it in a table, the speed control would be a natural alternative to the main switch, so I can see the problem arising.
Kevin
I bought one like this from Harbor Freight, on sale, cheap. I do use it to cut speed just a little so I can run inch and a quarter bits on my old B&D router. Speed control is guesswork. I crank up the no-load speed as high as I dare, because speed will drop a lot under load. The device cuts torque as well as speed.
I keep a piece of lumber between me and the bit, especially when I'm using the larger bits.

I have a 3hp Makita router that I use in a table. The variable speed box indicated that it would not work with a soft start router (and my Makita isn't). I have used it numerous times with a 3" raised panel bit and rail/stile bits and have cut everything from oak to cherry and hickory. Although the router does slow down a bit when cutting something like hickory with the 3" bit, it quickly speeds back up.
Overall I've been most happy with it, but I would certainly buy a variable speed router or a shaper if I was going to spin 3" bits on a regular basis.
Jim

This just in:
I have a variable speed control on a table mounted PC 690. The unit was purchased from MLCS for about $25. I use it primarily for large 1/2 inch shank bits but I've also used it when I want to control the speed on different types (i.e., densities) of wood. I've had no problems with it and would recommend it, especially if you're using large diameter bits in a smaller router like the 690.
As far as the toggle switch is concerned, if you can't control the switch position (i.e., on, off, variable) you probably shouldn't be using a router to begin with.
Hope this helps, Dave