Re: Anyone know any history on this level

Please, no attachments. This is not a binary newsgroup.
Seasons greetings.
--
Bill

It appears by the picture that it may be a line level.A string is inserted thru the hole on one end and a bottle knot is fitted on the other.The level can be used for many things such as exterior ground work,bricks,fencing,landscaping etc.I have used one in the past to lay out the foundation for a shed.

I would bet this is a vial from an old millwrights level, the base is missing. These levels were adjustable and the ball and eye on the vial in the picture would be suitable for that operation. The graduations on the glass are also reasonably typical of a millwrights level also the rotating cover is pretty much the giveaway. I have a modern B & S level that looks similar.
Ed Angell

I'd agree - similar levels were on some types of land survey equipment too. The ball end pivots in a mount and the eye end allows adjustment in the level.
Mike
Cheers mate, now that I know what it was used for I think I have my next project. I'll reproduce the base from coco bolo and a few machined brass parts.

level
looks like you will end up with a very nice accurate level....     Bridger
On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 22:21:27 GMT, "who_would_you_like_me_to_be"