Re: Anyone know any history on this level

Reply to
Dan Parrell

"who_would_you_like_me_to_be" wrote in news:M9NHb.862264$9l5.56089@pd7tw2no:

I bought the level in the UK. Thought at that time it was a pocket level > but now I'm not sure, never seen one before or since. The brass case > rotates to protect the vial and it appears to be accurate. > > > begin 666 DSCN0468 copy.jpg

Please, no attachments. This is not a binary newsgroup.

Seasons greetings.

Reply to
Woodchuck Bill

I would bet this is a vial from an old millwrights level, the base is missing. These levels were adjustable and the ball and eye on the vial in the picture would be suitable for that operation. The graduations on the glass are also reasonably typical of a millwrights level also the rotating cover is pretty much the giveaway. I have a modern B & S level that looks similar.

Ed Angell

Reply to
Ed Angell

I'd agree - similar levels were on some types of land survey equipment too. The ball end pivots in a mount and the eye end allows adjustment in the level.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Daly

Reply to
who_would_you_like_me_to_be

looks like you will end up with a very nice accurate level.... Bridger

Reply to
Bridger