Re: any info rebuilding old sash windows?

- Dan -

..I can't afford to replace them ... > I guess my question should be: where can I find info on how to make the wood > channels that the windows slide up and down in. A router, I guess. What kind > of bits? I can guess the rest. Thanks to all.

- Nehmo - Ask in news:rec.woodworking [crossposted]

You could use a dado blade on a (circular) table saw. Example:

(there are less expensive ones). But you're asking how to do this on the cheap, and I'm not sure you have a table saw. What kind of tools do you have?

Reply to
Nehmo Sergheyev

I've got a 10" table saw and I plan on buying a router anyway.

Reply to
Dan

The window frames are not necessarily wood channels that allow the sash to ride in. The window frames sometimes have a groove in the center and the molding in it is called parting mold. It is still available in a good lumber yard. The other moldings have names that I don't recall, but can be purchased or made. I know one of the moldings is called screen mold. If you take an old frame apart, you should be able to make a replacement. A number of years ago, I repaired an old house that required rebuilding the frames. If you have good sash, it should be easy. Most of the grooves and dadoes can be done with a router and the proper moldings put in.

Reply to
Lowell Holmes