Re: any info rebuilding old sash windows?

- Dan -

- Nehmo - Ask in news:rec.woodworking [crossposted]
You could use a dado blade on a (circular) table saw. Example: http://forrest.woodmall.com/fordad.html (there are less expensive ones). But you're asking how to do this on the cheap, and I'm not sure you have a table saw. What kind of tools do you have?
--
* Nehmo Sergheyev *

The window frames are not necessarily wood channels that allow the sash to ride in. The window frames sometimes have a groove in the center and the molding in it is called parting mold. It is still available in a good lumber yard. The other moldings have names that I don't recall, but can be purchased or made. I know one of the moldings is called screen mold. If you take an old frame apart, you should be able to make a replacement. A number of years ago, I repaired an old house that required rebuilding the frames. If you have good sash, it should be easy. Most of the grooves and dadoes can be done with a router and the proper moldings put in.