Re: Another tool ID needed XXIII

I've done a ton of brake jobs in my life and have never seen a tool like that.
Lane

Well it is probably not, but if you have done a ton of brakes you should be able to imagine the short end of the pivot with the holes is where the manual brake cable end goes through. As the cable is pulled the arm pivots and the arm that is bent at an angle engages the star wheel on the adjuster on the opposite end from the wheel cylinder. In my scenario this is not a tool rather a universally part of the brake system that works on either side of the car. Be sure to use your imagination. :~)
In article <95ae5160.0411200223.3849cbf9

Cheap hog ring pliers?
That's what I think. Karl
says...

I just added another photo of number 196, it's a side view showing that the holes on this tool are offset 5/32". I've never seen hog ringers that were offset like this, also the holes are smaller than the usual indentations on ringers. One more reason I don't think that they're ringers is the handles seem to be made for work in which you wouldn't have to sqeeze very hard, although I've never worked with split rings and don't know how much pressure is required with them.
says...

I see what you mean. I don't have any idea what it is now. Karl
says...

for:
used to have the same pliers bought from J.C. Whitney long ago to replace the seats in a '62 corvair. You do not want the ring to meet but to pass. It does not take much pressure to do this but after a few hundered or so your hands do hurt. like I said cheap...
Scott
says...

says...

for:
199 - Rope maker/braider???

Correct, it's a rope maker.

Yes it does but would you really want to squeeze your hand around those handles? I still believe that this is a part of an assembly of some sort.
snipped-for-privacy@cinci.rr.com says...

Since the slots are offset, I'll change my guess from hog ring pliers to pliers for round wire hose clamps, like this...
http://www.samstagsales.com/images/hz798-1y.jpg
Ned Simmons
ranted:

Automotive hog-ring pliers. The offset allows them to close the ring in an overlapped circle. They're really cheap pliers a la JC Whitney from the 70's. If you have a large stock of old Whitney catalogs, look 'em up.
-- Friends Don't Let Friends Eat Turkey and Drive --
On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 16:37:10 +0000, snipped-for-privacy@host122.r-bonomi.com (Robert Bonomi) wrote:

They often do, but six is also common. It's used to form a rope of seven "strands", around an untwisted or pre-twisted central core. It's a common construction where the strands are quite stiff and heavyweight, around a softer core for flexibility.
There's also little need for symmetry. You can produce a rope with 3 or 5 strands quite easily, just by skipping strands.
--
Smert' spamionam

    I *could* change the threshold setting, but then I would be having to fight with more of the OT postings which are typically cross-posted, so I won't.

    That may be because I'm one of the few who is filtering on cross-posted usenet articles to reduce the noise threshold.
    I'm trying some reverse filtering on the "Subject: " header (please only change the Roman numeral) to undo it.

    Once I see a first response with the "Newsgroups: " trimmed back below my threshold, I can navigate back through the threads.
    And I *hate* attempting to navigate newsgroups on Google -- and would certainly not *post* to them via Google. A web browser is *not* a proper newsreader, IMHO.
    Going to Google would be introducing more problems to attempt to cure this one -- and I *could* cure it just by turning off the newsgroup-count based filtering.
    If you can cut down the heavily OT postings which are heavily cross-posted, I would not *need* that filtering -- except for the occasional spam. (Or maybe it is more than occasional, and I am simply not seeing it because of my filtering. :-)
    Enjoy,         DoN.
I haven't received much feedback on my site so I thought I'd ask for comments pro and con. One possible issue is image size. Smaller ones would load faster and might be easier on the eyes. I think that large close-ups are interesting, but it's been suggested that some of mine are too big.
Any comments about what you like or don't like would be appreciated.
Please don't post your replies on the newsgroup, but send me a private email.
Thanks, Rob
I have no problem with the file size, but I do have a cable connection.
I would like to have a better system of finding what was finally found to be the correct answer.