Re: Another tool ID needed XXI

Page 1 of 2
Hey Greg,
No, not a trick. The two photos captioned 186 came up on my screen OK. 3rd and 4th ones from the top. Still don't know what it is though. In fact, I don't "know" what many of them are, except 178 which is a soldering tip for a torch and 183 is a lock-nut for an electrical fitting, and maybe 180 is checker-plate. Is 182 a part of a toy noise-maker? Is 181 a "clicker" ( cleat ??) for tap-dancing shoes?
Take care.
Brian Lawson, Bothwell, Ontario. XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
On Tue, 9 Nov 2004 21:18:10 +1100, "Greg Millen"
185 is a pet-nail trimmer

This one isn't a pet-nail trimmer.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Eag111) wrote:

192 is an ice chipper.
--
Hank Gillette

(Eag111) wrote:

Correct

I did see #186, but have no idea what it is.
By the way, very nice photos.
Harry C.

Thanks for the comments, hopefully someone will recognize 186, maybe I should offer prizes for tool ID's.
181 Looks like an "oillite" or "Oil Lite" oil impregnated brass/bronze bushing pad.
Probably bolted to something and had some spinning part rest on it.
Regards, Joe Agro, Jr. http://www.autodrill.com http://www.multi-spindle-heads.com
V8013
message

This one is for something totally different from that.
Rob

Right material?
Regards, Joe Agro, Jr. http://www.autodrill.com http://www.multi-spindle-heads.com
V8013
message

A magnet sticks to it, that's all I can tell you concerning what type metal it is. Keep in mind it's only 3/4" long.
says...

RH> Keep in mind it's only 3/4" long.

Looks like a shoe tap to me.
--
"Trust me, I do this all the time"
Mike M

metal
It's not a tap, but a lot of people did guess that.
This may be nitpicking but wear plates such as this were commonly known as "taps". Even shoe repair people used the term.

I've mostly heard them referred to as "cleats"
bob g.
CW wrote:

Might very well depend on the part of the country you are from. Lots of regional things about.

Thanks for that, I didn't realize they were called taps, I was thinking that taps were just for dancing but now I see that the term is also for shoe protectors. So I hereby change all of my replies from incorrect to correct for those who guessed tap for 181.
Rob

Of course, you will have to redistribute the winnings too...
--

Greg

185 is a telco wire stripper

It doesn't say telco on it, but it is for stripping and cutting wire. Any idea why there is foam rubber padding around the piece that connects the strippers to the cutter?