Re: ANOTHER Onan DJE generator starting problem! (Thursday)

My saga goes on. The solenoid that I bought from Onan turned out to be completely wrong. The correct one costs, drumroll, $370 something. I almost fainted when I heard that. WTF!

I am going to go to McMaster-Carr today (they have an office 30 minutes from me) and pick up a 12V DC 1" linear pull solenoid of similar dimensions. The pull force is 80 oz, which I hope will be enough. The solenoid draws 11 watts (1 amp), which I hope won't overload the control system. I will have to do some "metalworking" to fit an adjustable nut on it and fit it into the system, but I am hopeful.

I am building a cushioned carriage for it, see my progress at

also added a 1/2"ID NPT pipe and a ball valve for ease of draining oil. See the bottom if this picture:

Ignoramus23449

I, It looks to me that you are going a touch overboard on the cushioned cart. I don't understand why you are going to such extremes to reduce vibration. BTW, how do you plan to turn the cart? Its going to be tough to maneuver. Good luck with the solenoid! Dave

Reply to
TeamCasa

Dave, you could, very well, be right. I may be going overboard. My reasoning is that the price of these used tires is unbeatable (they are free), the cushioning ability of this setup is unbeatable (tires are made to flex for tens of thousands of miles), the sound dampening ability is also good (as far as sound transmitted via vibration), and the whole thing is likely to end up being very stable. Also, I reasoned that vibration is the enemy of wood, screws, plywood etc, and dampening it as much as I can would help with peace of mind.

Also, I was afraid that without this cushioning, the 5/6" axles could bend during transportation or engine operation.

If I , say, use this genset in emergency and go to bed at night, I would feel good if I was sure that this setup won't fall apart while I am in bed, at 3 am, due to plywood/screw/etc failure.

So, worst case, if you are right, I would have wasted a few hours of my time. No big deal, I waste time all the time.

Good question. Basically, I am strong enough to lift one end of it a little bit. I will attach something that would let me do it without excessive bending, or some boards for extra levering. I am not concerned.

Thanks, I definitely need it. I appreciate all help and advice that I get here on rec.woodworking and other groups.

Ignoramus23449

Let me know how that works for you, and the exact McMaster/Karr stock number, as I want to convert my MDJA and DJA over to Injector Rack Shutdown from Compression Release Shutdown.

Bruce in alaska

Reply to
Bruce in Alaska

See my another post with deteiled description of the mcmaster solenoid

69905K8. i
Reply to
Ignoramus23449

Well, there are rubber mounts between the generator and that platform.

You may well know better than me.

Hm, that's something to think about. Thanks.

Ignoramus23449