RE: Another Neat Idea

May not be new, but it is neat and it works.
Was watching another old "What is it" segment of "Ask this old house" the other night.
A viewer had a neat idea for removing the plug from a hole saw which IMHO, ranks high in the PITA category, especially if you have a bunch of holes to drill.
Solution:
A couple of deck screws spaced 180 degrees apart, screwed into the plug until they touch the hole saw, then a few turns alternating between screws until plug clears hole saw.
Not rocket science, but somebody had to think of it.
Lew

I spin off the mandrel and insert as big a dowel as the hole allows and I grab the saw and rap the dowel on a bench... presto...
"Robatoy" wrote:
I spin off the mandrel and insert as big a dowel as the hole allows and I grab the saw and rap the dowel on a bench... presto...
I tried that a few times but must not have the Midas touch..
Banging on a 1/2" dowel in the center of the plug can be interesting.
Lew

The dowel is only about 6" long. You hold the saw and the dowel in one hand, aligned that the dowel touches the centre of the plug, Friction will hold it centered...it is a bit of a 'touch'. Then you smack the dowel/saw combo onto the bench whilst holding the saw firmly. Works fine up to 2-1/2 " which is justabout all I go to.
"Robatoy" wrote:

Ah ha, junior league.<G>
3"-5" can get very interesting, especially down in the hull of a boat cutting thru plywood with a fiberglass skins.
Lew

My "presto" is easier and faster... http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=1&pY737&cat=1,180,42316&ap=1
"Upscale" wrote:

At a 200+% price premium, it damn well better dance the tango as well.
The catalog cuts leave a lot to be desired when it comes to showing how it works so well.
Lew

Time is money, my man...
Tom Dacon
How do you get in touch with that show ? I was changing oil on two hondas one day and had a hard time seeing the new oil on the cream colored dip stick. So I took a 1/4 inch dowl rod and marked and oil showed up on the wood real well. Jerry
http://community.webtv.net/awoodbutcher/1974RuppCentair
"Jerry - OHIO" wrote:

Send your "What is it?" to the following address: This Old House Productions, Inc. Attn: "What is it?" PO Box 130 Concord, MA 01742
Please note that objects are non-returnable and must not weigh more than 20 pounds. If your object appears on the show, you'll receive an ASK This Old House t-shirt.
Lew
<...snipped...>

It is a good idea but with my luck, the screws would line up directly over the holes on the back side of the hole saw.