RE: An Oldie But Goodie

http://tinyurl.com/moplnx
A saw horse design that first appeared in Mother Earth many years ago as a $6 saw horse.
If you follow the cut list exactly, you get a saw horse from two 2x4's, some saw dust and not much else.
Have built several.
One can be used along with a circular saw to cross cut 2x4's.
It's a well thought out design.
Enjoy.
Lew
DUH!
It's three 2x4's, not two dummy.
Lew ----------------------------------

Or two 3X4s, maybe? No! LOL.
Sonny

plus a decent chunk of 2x12? at least that's what it looks like from the diagram...
xparatrooper wrote: ...

optical delusion...
The angle is such that the opening between the lower lengthwise pieces is occluded. It's two pieces lengthwise w/ underneath the two short sections w/ a cross-piece at either end above.
Would be pretty heavy overall and top heavy too boot and the gaps rather inconvenient it seems to me if built to the dimensions given. Only 3" in the lengthwise one meaning a tubafor won't lay flat and two on edge may/may not fit given the tolerances.
I think I'll stay w/ a straight ol' 'horse instead...
On Mon, 12 Jul 2010 00:14:27 -0700, "Lew Hodgett"

So they weigh 25 pounds each and you can't stack 'em. Pass. For me, the limitations outweigh the benefits.
--

EXPLETIVE: A balm, usually applied verbally in hindsight,
which somehow eases those pains and indignities following

They look like they stack to me. That's the reason for the 6" measurement on the side ties.

Heavy, to be sure. I thought about building a pair and hanging them from the ceiling to save on space. They would be handy for the garage to cut down sheet goods.

Too many fasteners and they're tough on saw blades.. I built a set of ponies with too many screws in it and decided to pull the screws and use 1/4" dowels, worked great. After the glue set up.... Good for inspiration though. I like my ponies at 36" or so. I have one set at 42"
RP

That was my thought, too. I was thinking about screwing the bottom horizontal pieces from the bottom and gluing the top horizontal on. They could still be replaced, though with a little more work. Maybe even some hardboard glued on top.

That thought crossed my mind too. That height might be good for breaking down sheet goods, though. I have a pile (nine, I think) of the collapsing plastic horses I use for most things. They're easy to carry around.

Mine are solid wood tops to at least the depth of my biggest saw blade. Means I can work very quickly for a lot of cuts and simply cut through the top of my trestles. It's surprising how long they last and it's obviously a quicker way to work.
I wonder how a variant of this trestle (steel free!) would work for bucking firewood logs?

It is a nice design. I believe I also saw a similar design in ShopNotes magazine - about 6 times.

On Jul 12, 4:34pm, snipped-for-privacy@sdf.lNoOnSePsAtMar.org (Larry W) wrote:

An excellent reason for Lew not to share with folks that might not have seen them.
Shame on you, Lew. Save your good deeds and efforts until you run them by old Larry for approval.
Robert

------------------------------------- I take it you operate with tongue firmly planted in cheek these days.
Lew
.

You betcha. I could have blown out a cheek on that one. My tongue is kinda flattened out on the end from the pressure.
I have never understood why someone would even vaguely criticize, or post any kind of snotty remark when when another is trying to pass some helpful info along.
I was thinking, wow.... can you imagine... he has seen that before as many as six times. What's the point of the remark? He reads more than some? He feels that reading the same article more than once makes him a more experienced woodworker?
Was he showing off his reading skills?
Dunno.... not an impressive skill set if he had to read the same articles and plans six times to get the info in the noggin.
I say if anyone has ANYTHING of use to post, fire away.
If someone doesn't care for, like, or just can't stand useful info, they should at least be able to keep a sock in their mouth and go to the next post to let the others here without the vast reading experience (not necessarily practical) enjoy a posting for the first time.
Good on 'ya Lew, for posting something useful.
Robert
On Mon, 12 Jul 2010 23:42:28 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@aol.com"

This, too, shall pass.

What, only the OP's opinion is valid, Naily? Nobody can say "I tried that but it didn't work for me. Here's what I did.", or point out flaws which others can take a whack at resolving? Your method stifles creativity more than our posts do, sir.

He was commenting that ShopNotes was overly repetitive. (Now whose reading skills are in question? ;)

That's not what you said above.

Would you have been less critical if I'd pointed out what I felt were the good points of the design, and not just the bad?

Yabbut, it wasn't political.
--

EXPLETIVE: A balm, usually applied verbally in hindsight,
which somehow eases those pains and indignities following

<snip> ---------------------------- The subject line says it all.
Lew
On Mon, 12 Jul 2010 19:35:16 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@aol.com"

Damned straight!
P.S: Gee, can't I have an opinion, Robert?
--

EXPLETIVE: A balm, usually applied verbally in hindsight,
which somehow eases those pains and indignities following

Of course you can. My comments were aimed at Larry W, not you.
You posted your opinion which and why you felt the way you did about the horses. So did dpb, keith86, etc. No problem.
Again, I said post anything "of use". Maybe I took it wrong, but I didn't like the casual driveby snottiness of the post. It added nothing to the discussion.
And with all the political stuff/bait that is posted here I thought it was nice of Lew to post something that was useful about woodworking. When I saw that "been there done that got the T shirt" remark, I didn't care for it.
Few enough people post anything of use here, no reason to discourage anyone (no matter the reason behind it) from posting information someone could use.
Robert

My intention was to poke fun at ShopNotes, not Lew!
plausible, and wrong." (H L Mencken)
On Jul 13, 4:38pm, snipped-for-privacy@sdf.lNoOnSePsAtMar.org (Larry W) wrote:

Then you have my apology.
Robert