RE: American Workshop Program

Page 2 of 2
Upscale wrote:

If you read their posts, they clearly feel that they know more than the "hacks" that they are complaining about. It's kind of like
"Man, this stuff tastes terrible!"
"Yeah, and there ain't enough, either."
scritch wrote:

Upscales right, even if I know 1000 times more than you, It's still very easy to learn something new, even from a hack.
It's kind of like

If a man is starving, he'll eat maggots, if sated, he can be picky. I have over 500 stations and the only woodworking shows are old NYW reruns and Scott Phillips. I can watch Days of Our Lives or shitty woodworking shows, so I pick shitty woodworking shows. If Scott Phillips likes white glue because you can't see it when it dries, I'll bitch about it all I want.
I would like a show, or a shop teacher, or anyone attempting to teach or publicly display for cash, woodworking, or gymnastics, or surgery (or anything} to have a handle on what he is doing. Scott Phillips is an idiot when it comes to woodworking. Norm OK, even good, but still, he needs someone else to spread the glue, and the nail guns belong in the this old house series, not the NYW. I see no reason to be quiet about it, especially on a woodworking news group.
When anyone says something wrong here, he gets trashed. Even if you say something right, odds are excellent you will still get trashed. Why the FUCK would you think guys doing stupid shit on tv for money should be left alone?
--
Jack

Obviously, Philips is a professional. He said so many times, just so we won't mistake his antics for anything else. Alas, I'm certain his profession is something other than woodworking and fine furniture. I got hooked on his show on the very second episode I watched. At the end of that program, he displayed the antique he had just "restored". He explained that the creaking hinges gives it instant credibility as a true antique, causing the owner of the piece to mutter loudly "You've GOT to be joking!" as she stormed off camera. I've watched it regularly since for the belly laughs. More usually, though, I just cringe silently at the televised butchery.

small
Sure there might be a terrible host with an "I know it all attitude" that really knows nothing. But, eventually he/she is going to use a tool you've never seen before, or use a construction method that's new to you and there you go, you now know something new you didn't know before.
If you're bored out of your mind and you're going to watch TV anyway, then it might was well be some hack on a woodworking show rather than The Young and the Restless. Look at it this way, at least you get something to complain about that you didn't have before. :)
Yeah, yeah, Robatoy, I know, I shouldn't be 'dissin your Y&R show...
Upscale wrote: ...

Isn't that how Eve caused so much trouble???
"scritch" wrote:

I started this thread with a comment to the effect that try as I might, couldn't watch more than about half the program before walking away.
IMHO, the program is garbage, and I won't be wasting any more time trying to watch it.
YMMV
Lew
scritch wrote:

Akshully, I haven't watched in almost 10 years. The continuous beg-a-thons that preempted the shows pretty much killed my desire to waste time coming into the house to watch Norm or Scott Phillips only to see the opening for yet another high-donation acquiring installment of "Hannah from Hoboken" instead of Norm.

... and shops to keep the TV off (or let the youngster watch instead)

I have to agree with you there Lew, Scott is way toooooooo touchy feely for me and his relatively brand new shop is a cluttered mess.

I agree with the above comments and need to add one more IMPORTANT one. I have seen him put a long piece of plywood (4 or 5 feet) on the table saw and push it through with the short end against the rip fence. And of course there are no anti kickback pawls or blade guard. That is a recipe for disaster that I don't think the uninitiated individuals who might be watching the show need to imitate. Of course, it may be a fast way to initiate them!
Len

I agree with the above comments and need to add one more IMPORTANT one. I have seen him put a long piece of plywood (4 or 5 feet) on the table saw and push it through with the short end against the rip fence. And of course there are no anti kickback pawls or blade guard. That is a recipe for disaster that I don't think the uninitiated individuals who might be watching the show need to imitate. Of course, it may be a fast way to initiate them!
Len
Same as Norm, Scott says you should use all of the guards, he has them removed for the TV only. Also says the most important piece of safet equipment is the safety glasses... brain is optional.
Jack