RE: American Workshop Program

Norm at least appears to take some care with accuracy, even though he seldom to never shows the steps involved to be accurate. Scott does things slipshod, and shows himself doing exactly that.

When Norm first started, before NYW on This Old House, I clearly recall him tearing down part of a house to rebuild it, and specifically stating the old wood was too dried up to be of any use and was just trash. I was about ready to jump through the TV because at the time I was searching out just such wood for its unbelievable patina. Norm has learned a lot about wood, and cabinetry since becoming a cabinet guy. He was a good carpenter on this old house, he was not so good a cabinet maker when he first started the NYW. He still tends to piss off a lot of cabinet makers with 27 air nailers at his beck and call, but I can recognize he is a craftsman, more so if he would lose the air nailers.

Also, you would think he would know how to avoid 10 gallons of glue squeeze out on his joints by now? Whats up with that?

Now that I think about it, the dumb ass, Scott on the American woodworker show just the other day said, in public, that he prefers white glue to yellow wood glue because it dries CLEAR and you can't see it! WTF? He then goes on to stain the project... wonder how all that clear white glue looked after that? This guy is on TV? Give me a break.

Reply to
Jack Stein

Jeeez-o-peeets! You guys bitch and moan about those shows and how bad they are, yet you still watch them! When I bite into a piece of bad fruit, I don't keep eating on it hoping it will get better!

God made remotes so you can change the channel!

Reply to
scritch

Unlike a piece of fruit, many people watch a workshop program to get a small piece of new knowledge which is why they might keep watching it.

Reply to
Upscale

If you read their posts, they clearly feel that they know more than the "hacks" that they are complaining about. It's kind of like

"Man, this stuff tastes terrible!"

"Yeah, and there ain't enough, either."

Reply to
scritch

Upscale wrote: ...

Isn't that how Eve caused so much trouble???

--

Reply to
dpb

I started this thread with a comment to the effect that try as I might, couldn't watch more than about half the program before walking away.

IMHO, the program is garbage, and I won't be wasting any more time trying to watch it.

YMMV

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Akshully, I haven't watched in almost 10 years. The continuous beg-a-thons that preempted the shows pretty much killed my desire to waste time coming into the house to watch Norm or Scott Phillips only to see the opening for yet another high-donation acquiring installment of "Hannah from Hoboken" instead of Norm.

... and shops to keep the TV off (or let the youngster watch instead)

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

Upscales right, even if I know 1000 times more than you, It's still very easy to learn something new, even from a hack.

It's kind of like

If a man is starving, he'll eat maggots, if sated, he can be picky. I have over 500 stations and the only woodworking shows are old NYW reruns and Scott Phillips. I can watch Days of Our Lives or shitty woodworking shows, so I pick shitty woodworking shows. If Scott Phillips likes white glue because you can't see it when it dries, I'll bitch about it all I want.

I would like a show, or a shop teacher, or anyone attempting to teach or publicly display for cash, woodworking, or gymnastics, or surgery (or anything} to have a handle on what he is doing. Scott Phillips is an idiot when it comes to woodworking. Norm OK, even good, but still, he needs someone else to spread the glue, and the nail guns belong in the this old house series, not the NYW. I see no reason to be quiet about it, especially on a woodworking news group.

When anyone says something wrong here, he gets trashed. Even if you say something right, odds are excellent you will still get trashed. Why the FUCK would you think guys doing stupid shit on tv for money should be left alone?

Reply to
Jack Stein

Obviously, Philips is a professional. He said so many times, just so we won't mistake his antics for anything else. Alas, I'm certain his profession is something other than woodworking and fine furniture. I got hooked on his show on the very second episode I watched. At the end of that program, he displayed the antique he had just "restored". He explained that the creaking hinges gives it instant credibility as a true antique, causing the owner of the piece to mutter loudly "You've GOT to be joking!" as she stormed off camera. I've watched it regularly since for the belly laughs. More usually, though, I just cringe silently at the televised butchery.

Reply to
MikeWhy

Sure there might be a terrible host with an "I know it all attitude" that really knows nothing. But, eventually he/she is going to use a tool you've never seen before, or use a construction method that's new to you and there you go, you now know something new you didn't know before.

If you're bored out of your mind and you're going to watch TV anyway, then it might was well be some hack on a woodworking show rather than The Young and the Restless. Look at it this way, at least you get something to complain about that you didn't have before. :)

Yeah, yeah, Robatoy, I know, I shouldn't be 'dissin your Y&R show...

Reply to
Upscale