RE: American Workshop Program

Page 1 of 2
Subject show on a PBS station here.
Much as I tried, couldn't make it past about half way.
That show makes you truly appreciate the first class writing and camera work found on NYW.
Lew
Never heard of it. Neither has PBS according to their website.

"CW" wrote:

Was broadcast on one of the secondary digital channels.
Lew
Correction:
Should read: American Woodshop with Scott Phillips.
Found in on WBGU which from the looks of it would be loacted at Bowling Green State University, Bowling Green,Ohio.
Sorry for the inconvenience.
Lew
OK. That I have seen and agree with your take on the show.

I wonder if we should recomend it be discontinued on PBS. If possible I would like to see the shows by ?? Marks that used to be on HGTV in its place.
Len

I've seen it a couple times. It's extremely easy to get lost attempting to follow the project. I wonder if he needs to take a modular approach, giving an overview of the project and then later on describing each section.
Puckdropper
"Puckdropper" wrote:

Maybe try watching how they do it on NYW.
Reminds me of an engineer trying to make a sales proposal.
Most of the time it is brutal to watch.
I can say that cause I R one<G>
Lew
Lew

I thought it was only me. I suppose Scott Phillips is a nice man and all that, but he tends to dumb down much of what he does. Also, his rhetoric is stilted and his tone is often patronizing. It seems the show is more about him than the project.
On the plus side, he does exude enthusiasm, and I guess he's popular enough to stay on the air.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

He always drove me crazy with the "wait until the router bit stops spinning before removing the router" On a PLUNGE router. After it had been un-plunged.

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

The American Woodshop is worse than NYW but I liked Woodsmith Magazine show the best. PBS took it off the air around here? It was really good, really good HD video, and the guys involved were all wood workers. I'd be surprised if Scott Phillips ever made anything respectable.

Really! He sucks. I know because I've built stuff using his lazy ass techniques and it always turns out bad. He also doesn't use good procedures and often I just shake my head. I truly think someone else builds his stuff for him, he is that bad. His finishes are almost as bad if not worse than Norms. I figure I'm the worlds 3rd worse finisher and my stuff if worlds ahead of both Norm and Scott, but then I'm not on TV.

He has little comfort level with his tools and it is obvious to me. When he uses the table saw, with all that safety crap and goofy push sticks he looks like an accident waiting to happen. Norm looks more like a normal craftsman, familiar with his tools, not perfectly safe, not perfectly scared.
Scott should get his hands on De Cristoforo's Complete Book Of Power Tools and learn how to use his tools before going on TV to try to entertain woodworkers.

I watch him out of boredom, but always after watching him work, wonder how bad his stuff looks in real life. I often see glimpses of his shoddy workmanship even on TV. I don't particularly like capping on a fellow woodworkers skill level, but hell, the guy is on TV?
--
Jack

snip
Scott used to have shows with good content. Maybe this was 10 years back. He did some good shows with bandsaw work. I remember a trellis he built that I liked. I can remember a bible box he made that was good. I also remember some shows he did concerning renovating a timber framed bar that I enjoyed.
Where it fell apart for me was when he started building his house on a lake. I've only seen his show once or twice recently. I haven't cared for his content on those shows.
I guess his show will join the Router Workshop. I'm kind of sad about that.
"Lowell Holmes" wrote:

Show with good ideas but with doink meisters as instructors.
Lew

Yeah, Do you really have to show rounding over an edge on 57 pieces of wood? The first pass should be enough demonstration for just about every one except that guy the was on, ummmm, the WoodWork Show?, he commonly called his SCMS a Radial Arm Saw. NOT to be confused with David Marks on Woodworks.
"Leon" wrote:

When you see the poor quality of many of the woodworking programs out there, you begin to realize the talent Morash brings to the table with a program like NYW.
Lew

And he has had about 30 yers to perfect the process.
Leon wrote:

Norm at least appears to take some care with accuracy, even though he seldom to never shows the steps involved to be accurate. Scott does things slipshod, and shows himself doing exactly that.

When Norm first started, before NYW on This Old House, I clearly recall him tearing down part of a house to rebuild it, and specifically stating the old wood was too dried up to be of any use and was just trash. I was about ready to jump through the TV because at the time I was searching out just such wood for its unbelievable patina. Norm has learned a lot about wood, and cabinetry since becoming a cabinet guy. He was a good carpenter on this old house, he was not so good a cabinet maker when he first started the NYW. He still tends to piss off a lot of cabinet makers with 27 air nailers at his beck and call, but I can recognize he is a craftsman, more so if he would lose the air nailers.
Also, you would think he would know how to avoid 10 gallons of glue squeeze out on his joints by now? Whats up with that?
Now that I think about it, the dumb ass, Scott on the American woodworker show just the other day said, in public, that he prefers white glue to yellow wood glue because it dries CLEAR and you can't see it! WTF? He then goes on to stain the project... wonder how all that clear white glue looked after that? This guy is on TV? Give me a break.
--
Jack

I was continually disappointed with how little TRW actually demonstrated in half an hour.
--
Kiva - Loans that change lives.
http://www.kiva.org/lender/david87375440
Dave Balderstone wrote:

Jeeez-o-peeets! You guys bitch and moan about those shows and how bad they are, yet you still watch them! When I bite into a piece of bad fruit, I don't keep eating on it hoping it will get better!
God made remotes so you can change the channel!

Unlike a piece of fruit, many people watch a workshop program to get a small piece of new knowledge which is why they might keep watching it.