Re: Akeda is back!

Yes. The split fence, with dust port, combined with the zero clearance inserts and the precision fence positioning system makes some difficult routing easy and some impossible anyother way operations possible though not easy. A sliding dovetail comes to mind. Cut the dovetail groove anyway you like then sneak up on the fit your want for the "male" part of the joint by taking a little off each side - in thousandths.

Great tool. Nice folks. I'd recomend JoinTech to anyone looking for a good router table fence system.

charlie b

Reply to
charlie b

I didn't mean to imply that the Akeda wasn't available for purchase or that it's not a good tool. It appears to do what it was designed to do very very well. I was just recalling seeing the idea floated back in '99 or 2000. The illustrations of the unit were not photos but computer graphics. Only the outside was shown - in various views, none of which told you much about what was behind the blue and silver body. At that time they didn't even have a price but were taking tentative orders. No details other than it'd make tight, dust free dovetails without ANY test cuts.

Unlike the software industry where "vaporware" was quite common (announce a really powerful application, quote a really cheap prize and freeze potential customers of competing applications purchases), woodworking tools and machinery makers actually deliver on MOST of their promises.

The Akeda seems like a great alternative to the Leigh DT Jig. Now if Akeda would come up with a competing mortise and tenon jig ...

charlie b

Reply to
charlie b