RE: AGV AntiVirus

Page 1 of 2
I just upgraded to V7.x AGV Free (after being forced from 6.x). Guess what..it's removed all of the icons from the desktop, removed all of the desktop settings, reset all of IE6's settings, changed my home page AND wiped all of the last 2 years worth of emails from Outlook. In addition, there's no way to return to the old settings and they don't include an uninstall. Go somewhere else rather than upgrading unless you want to rebuild everything manually. R. Wink
R. Wink wrote:

unless you get all the latest udgrades for SP2 installed first. 2 friends who use Netzero for their ISP had problems with NZ also until SP2 was updated...

Too bad you were not using GoBack.
I need to follow up on this. I'm hollering wolf here. I didn't notice that AVG change my logged on person from "end user" to "administrator." After I logged off and logged back on as "end user" everything is as it should be..almost!! I don't have to rebuild much, just a couple of small things like screen settings..not to bad. Using Windows 2000, SP4 on a P4 box. R. Wink

Still sounds like a program to avoid. We've always know you and "end user" and we'd not recognize you as "administrator".
Win XP has a nice utility called System Restore. Fixes a lot of problems.

Why is it the application's fault that he didn't remember who he logged in as to install the program? This is operator error, plain and simple, and has _nothing_ to do with the program. He logged in as administrator, and forgot to log back out to log in as himself, that's all.

Because, reading what he said, AVG changed the logged in person to administrator, not the operator

Unless I'm misinterpreting what he wrote, he did not log on as admin, the install program changed the user ID to admin

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------+ Now we'll just use some glue to hold things in place until the brads dry +--------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
The guy posted the response on another NG- he did sign on as administrator- he simply never posted a clarification- his fault . Pat

I don't think it's possible to do that transparently, and in my not insubstantial experience with the product, it does not do that.

I think it's pretty clear he's not sure what all he did, and assumed that the app was at fault when he didn't recognize or remember that he had logged in as admin. Easier to badmout a program, though, than to figure out what you screwed up, isn't it?

I have had AVG on my XP machine for some time. I think it's a really good program.
I never noticed any such user-Administrator change as you speak of. But my memory blows so bad its possible that happened, and I let it run because they state the program needs to be installed under Admin privileges.
So many things can mess this up. I was going nuts a little while ago because a number of apps I had deleted long ago, kept being reinstalled in the Startup menu. Everytime I tried to delete them, no matter how, they would insist on being reinstalled, no option. Even in my Admin account, I couldn't remove them.
I finally found that LavaSoft's Ad-Watch (not Ad-Aware) was behind this, deleted it, and everything thereafter worked as it should have.
Just an example of the kind of thing computers can do-
James snipped-for-privacy@rochester.rr.com

Having no experience with the product, I couldn't say, I was only going by what was written.

Probably the case

Well, I always know that it's the table saw's fault whenever the really wide board I'm cutting winds up 1/8" too small because I'm taking it off of the off-fence side of the cut, so why shouldn't the same apply to software? :-)
+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------+ Now we'll just use some glue to hold things in place until the brads dry +--------------------------------------------------------------------------------+

But even so, think of this logically - if a program was capable of switching to admin without asking for the user's help, that would indicate a _huge_ security hole of epic proportions (more so than the normal huge windows security holes, that is).
(snipola)

True, that. Cut the damn thing three times, and it's _still_ too short.
AVG, during the install, changed to the administrator account without any warning, dialog box or other information. After I figured out what had happened, I logged out of the administrator account and then logged in with my normal account which has the same rights as the administrators account. Most things returned to normal, however it did change the video resolution and removed the customization I had for my mouse. R. Wink

R. Wink wrote:

That is really weird. I didn't think it was possible given what MS has done to protect the <Ctrl><Alt><Del> keystroke sequence.
Are you running "plain" MS logon software, or do you have some 3rd party software, like a fingerprint logon?
-- Mark

That's amazing. It's also amazing that, apparently, you don't have a password set for your admin account <boggle>?

Still doesn't jibe with my experience. Something else is wrong with your box, AVG has _nothing_ to do with screen or mouse settings.

Weird. Like I said, I installed in on 5 computers, all running either W2K or XP and had no such occurrences. What release of Windows are you running? The profiles that I installed each one under all had administrative privileges - don't know if that made a difference or not.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

Like I said - wierd. Never saw this happen before. My server is the only computer in my house that runs a mouse driver similar to yours and it didn't suffer the problems you did. Don't know what to suggest, looks like you suffered a pretty unique case.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

If your everyday user has admin rights, then you're doing what they suggest you not do.

If you say so. Maybe you should ask Grisoft for your money back then.

freebie) and have never had any problems. I have advised a few others to use it and no one has had a problem. Even better, once it caught a virus in an email before McAfee did (which I paid for).
Joe