Re: Advice needed ASAP - bed riser construction

My wife is out of town, due back this evening, and I just realized

>that this would be a great time for me to do a project she's wanted me >to do and surprise her with it. Due to the time constraints, I'm >hoping some of the more experienced people her in the newsgroup can >give me some quick advice so that I can whip this together after work. > >What I need to do is pretty simple - we've stayed a bed & breakfast >places where the beds were higher than what we have at home. She'd >like me to raise our bed, and I think that a wooden riser between the >bedframe and the box springs would be the simplest thing. It's a king >bed, I'd like to raise it 18" and I'm guessing I should make the >platform in two pieces for ease of getting it in and out, so that >means 39" x 80" x 18". Since it'll all be covered by a longer dust >ruffle, it doesn't have to be pretty, just functional. > >What I don't know is how strong I need to build this, and what I need >to do to avoid the platform squeeking or working loose later. It will >have to stand up to kids jumping on it, etc. ;) so it has to be >sturdy. I'm assuming just an open framework would work, I know my wife >likes to keep things under the bed and would like to still be able to >get at them. > >What material would you suggest (are 2"x4"s stout enough?) >What sort of construction techniques would you recommend? > >Of course, any other suggestions are welcome (I've looked for a >premade frame that would raise the existing bed and haven't found >one).

Someday, it'll all be over....

Reply to
Tom

nct_buyer

I did this to get more space under the bed for storage. I used 2x6's Southern Yellow Pine. Lag bolted them together, 4 on each board, 3 for the ends with 2 middle cross braces using joist hangers. Middle supports also have supports on the floor for extra strength.

Extremely sturdy, no squeeks, we've tried ;), and our dust ruffel covers everything up. Took me about 2 hours to cut and put together. Brought the mitre saw right into the bedroom.

Mike

Reply to
Creamy Goodness

I just made a particle board box to set on the frame under the mattress. Actually it resembles a bookcase laying on the frame with its back up. I used two bed ruffles. One on the box and one on the boxsprings. Queen bed. When I did the king bed I built a box that went to the floor and skipped the bed frame. I stapled one ruffle to the box and put the other over the box spring. Particle board is cheap and plenty strong for this job and no one is ever going to see them.

Reply to
Pat Keith