RE: A Question Of Finish

Recently finished a couple of pieces using white oak.

Treated them with a few wipe on coats of BLO followed by a wax mixture that consisted of melting bees wax, then adding BLO, then allowing to cool before applying.

Pieces notably impressed the receiver, so must have done something correctly.

Now the question:

What do you use to maintain these surfaces?

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Lew, this is a variant of many of these types of oil/wax finishes. Sam Maloof's is quite similar (would have to dig out the book - I think he puts a couple of carnuba chips in his) except I think he puts mineral spirits in it to make it a realy creamy mix and to allow easier application.

I am under the strongest impression left from a conversation by one of the furniture makers (actually, I think he is a Sam Maloof grad!) that makes furniture and rockers around here that he just cleans the surface as needed with a dry, soft rag. If it is really dirty, he dampens with mineral spirits, rubs lightly and allows to dry.

To renew the finish, he applies another thin coat, allows to dry, then buffs out to the required sheen.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

I've used Maloof's oil/poly and oil/wax extensively and that's what I do ... about once year, or whenever I see the need.

AAMOF, I give away a small container of the oil/wax mixture with a piece finished that way, along with instructions to use it every year, and a strong warning to pay particular attention to rag disposal.

Reply to
Swingman

Are you using this anywhere in the houses you are building, or on personal/comission pieces? I have always wondered how this finish holds up on a piece that is not considered "fine" woodwork, and handled with some care.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

Only on personal/commission pieces. Most of the yuppies who buy these houses wouldn't know/appreciate the difference between "fine" woodwork and a milking stool.

Reply to
Swingman

Thank you.

Maybe I'll add a little turps, I like the smell of turps, to this witch's brew to make it a little more "creamy".

Right now, it's a little stiff.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

if you want to harden it up a bit, substitute varnish for some of the oil. this will reduce the shelf life of the mix, so don't make a huge amount at once.

Reply to
bridgerfafc

Added some turps.

It is now creamy.

Also smells good.

Now if it just works on furniture.

BTW, looks like it might work as a substitute for Johnson's wax on the saw table.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Still don't know if it works on furniture, but sure does a nice job on the saw table.

Think I'll retire the Johnson's wax.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett