Re: A Handy Tip For Gorrilla Glue Users

Page 3 of 3

It was somewhere outside Barstow when david zaret

I'm sorry to hear about your father, but "exposure to chemicals like acetone" is a long way from "exposure to acetone".
No one is disputing that there are some hazardous solvents in common use, or recently taken out of use. But acetone isn't one of them. As a chemist, he's certain to have been exposed to a wide range of solvents, nearly all far worse than acetone.

Sort of like me when I have to help in radiology. After 4800 hours in military aircraft alone, much less weapons preflights, who's to tell when I got the dose that'll kill me.
Now those nails places at the mall - there's a liability lawyer's dream. No more smoking, though....
On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 06:21:43 GMT, the inscrutable david zaret

He breathed in chemicals 8 hours per day for HOW many years before it happened?
Yes, be careful, not paranoid. Wear gloves and ventilate when using solvents. It's common sense.
-- Life's a Frisbee: When you die, your soul goes up on the roof. ---- http://diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development

A local chemist friend of mine constantly "jokes" about the life expectancy of chemists.
I wish you well.
Barry
Just as long as non chemists. I use to work in the same lab as a retired professor. He was in his 80's and still doing research. Back when he was a 'young chemist' they didnt know what we know today about cancer. They use to use benznene as a 'common' solvent and they would get it all over themselves. He is doing just fine today. He still practices chemistry with much less care than I would. I use to catch him mouth pipetting chemicals all the time. That was a common practice in his day, but not done anymore. He is as a very healthy old guy.

That was benzene not benznene. I just woke up...

Thu, Mar 10, 2005, 5:42pm (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@a.com (stoutman) claims: Than Im in deep shit. We use acetone to wash our glasswear at work. I have been getting it on my hands for over 10 years with no problems. That beer you drink at night is worse for your liver than a little acetone on your hand.
Duuno, but my dad used to work with a guy who rinsed the grease off his hands with some type of chemical cleaner on a daily basis. He was told it wasn't a good idea, but did it anyway. Then all of a sudden his hands just kinda wrinkled up, and went all white. Never did hear the final outcome.
With Titebond water cleanup works. Cool.
It was somewhere outside Barstow when snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote:

Any degreaser is bad new on your hands - humans are just made out of too much grease. Anything that cleans them is also degreasing the skin. There's a reason why my workshops always have barrier cream and handcream to hand. (These days it's tradefair shea butter stuff - much nicer than Nivea or Oil of Oily)

He was lucky. Most of the workshop solvents that really are harmful cause liver damage. Very nasty way to go 8-(
If the skin went white, might it have been hydrogen peroxide he was splashing about ?
Mon, Mar 14, 2005, 12:09am (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@codesmiths.com (AndyDingley) wonders: <snip> If the skin went white, might it have been hydrogen peroxide he was splashing about ?
Nope, a 55 gallon drum of some chemical they dipped tools in, on a wire, to degrease them. Something like carb cleaner, apparently. That guy was the only one that wanted it on his skin. The rest of 'em, if it splashed on their hands, they went and washed with soap and water. Strictly for degreasing/cleaning metal.
(Andy Dingley) wonders: <snip> If the skin went white, might it have been hydrogen peroxide he was splashing about ?

Could have been 1-1-1-tricholoroethylene, although it's more effective as a vapor degreaser. And I wouldn't want it on my hands.
todd