Re: A Handy Tip For Gorrilla Glue Users

If you bathe in it for decades, sure. I'm on the tree-hugger end of the spectrum when it comes to hazardous chemicals, but one has to keep some perspective. Acetone isn't something you want to breathe daily, true, but ferpetesake it's nail polish remover.

Not that gloves aren't a better choice--better to keep the gunk off you in the first place.

Reply to
Australopithecus scobis

Than Im in deep shit. We use acetone to wash our glasswear at work. I have been getting it on my hands for over 10 years with no problems. That beer you drink at night is worse for your liver than a little acetone on your hand.

Charley wrote: >> The next time you get black marks on your hands from using gorrilla glue, >> you don't need to let it "wear off". A little Acetone will remove it >> completely. > > > NOT a good idea. > > Acetone in contact with your skin leads to liver problems. > > OTOH, a box of disposable surgical gloves does the job and is low cost. > > Lew > >
Reply to
stoutman

You ever felt the stuff they rub on their faces? Ground up almond shells, ferpetesake.

Reply to
Australopithecus scobis

How do you get her to hold still?

Reply to
Australopithecus scobis

Wrong. _Chronic_ exposure to _high_ _concentrations_ of acetone _can_ lead to liver problems. It is not the inevitable result of getting a little on your skin once in a while.

Now, you may be one of those who believes that all exposure should be avoided. In the case, never, ever lose weight, because acetone is one of the natural products of fat metabolism.

Unless of course one is allergic to latex.

Reply to
J. Clarke

That's a statement beyond the misleading and bordering on the plain dumb wrong.

_Vodka_ "causes liver problems", as does beer.

Of all the workshop solvents you're likely to encounter, then acetone is just about the most benign. Its liver toxicity, both acute and chronic, is far below that of even white spirit.

If acetone does have a liver hazard, it's that it has long been known to have a synergistic effect with some other solvents - trike is hard on the liver, but in combination with acetone it's much worse.

A reasonable view:

Andy Dingley

If even then. The MSDS for acetone (google string "acetone MSDS") says, among other things:

(specific URL:

)

Contact Rating: 1 - Slight

Skin Contact: Irritating due to defatting action on skin. Causes redness, pain, drying and cracking of the skin.

Chronic Exposure: Prolonged or repeated skin contact may produce severe irritation or dermatitis. Toxicological information is unremarkable.

So, while I wouldn't bathe in the stuff, telling someone it's gonna eat their liver is, well, unsupportable.

Dave Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

You just might be getting in deeper than you think.

Might very well be worth a physical.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Not any more.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Okay, nitrile, then.

Reply to
LRod

Use Nitrile gloves. They are better anyway.

Tim Douglass

Tim Douglass

Check again Lew. The pharmacy I go to has it with and without acetone.

The kind without acetone is mostly ethyl acetate. The MSDS for Ethyl Acetate lists liver damage as an inhalation side effect, the one from the same vendor for acetone does not. Further, the allowable exposure for Ethyl Acetate is _half_ that of Acetone.

Reply to
J. Clarke

And then the glove gets stuck to the project, tears, you get glued to the glove, and guess what, you get out the acetone anyway.

Never had that happen to you? Just wait.

Reply to
J. Clarke

In that case, Need your furniture stripped? I can help.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Don't you worry. Im healthy.

Im a chemist so im around solvents all day long. Most that I deal with are

1000000X worse than acetone. Acetone is the LEAST of my concerns.

Reply to
stoutman

If thats the case than I should be dead. Acetone is NOT that bad for you unless you are bathing in it.

I get acetone on my hands 5 days a week.

Reply to
stoutman

WOW! 21 hits in a half day on what I thought was a good idea, but I had a feeling it might stir things up a bit. Sorry if I caused you EPA guys to get fired up. I didn't mean to cause such a fuss, but I thought it was a good idea. I do use gloves when using Gorrilla Glue, but I still always manage a few black spots on my skin someplace, and it looks really bad when I have to go out in public afterwards. When I found out how good a small amount of acetone removed the spots I thought that you guys would appreciate knowing about it. I never suggested that anyone should take a bath in acetone.

Reply to
Charley

I suggested someone use methanol once for shellac solvent and a similar phenomenon occurred.

Some people don't know how to interpret a MSDS and blow things WAY out of proportion.

As long as you don't take a bath in your solvents or drink them and use them in a well ventilated area you will be OK.

Reply to
stoutman

Some of us appreciate the tip. I 've never use Gorilla Glue, b ut I have used spray urethane and had the black sots. I'm not adverse to a little acetone on a rag to clean up.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

"Charley" wrote in news:TkYXd.4483$ snipped-for-privacy@twister.southeast.rr.com:

I've used acetone to strip poly glue spots from my hands, too. Works great.

The mild health risk associated with acetone doesn't bother me too much. Most of the chemicals in my shop have a similar or worse rating.

The one aspect in which acetone is considerably more dangerous than anything else I use is as a fire hazard. It's flammable as hell, it evaporates pretty fast, it's heavier than air, and explosive at only about

2-3% in air. I always use it with lots of ventilation and well away from anything that would make a spark.
Reply to
Nate Perkins