Re: A Handy Tip For Gorrilla Glue Users

Page 1 of 3
Than Im in deep shit. We use acetone to wash our glasswear at work. I have been getting it on my hands for over 10 years with no problems. That beer you drink at night is worse for your liver than a little acetone on your hand.

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 16:03:45 +0000, Lew Hodgett wrote:

If you bathe in it for decades, sure. I'm on the tree-hugger end of the spectrum when it comes to hazardous chemicals, but one has to keep some perspective. Acetone isn't something you want to breathe daily, true, but ferpetesake it's nail polish remover.
Not that gloves aren't a better choice--better to keep the gunk off you in the first place.
--
"Keep your ass behind you"
vladimir a t mad scientist com
On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 11:34:34 -0500, f/256 wrote:

You ever felt the stuff they rub on their faces? Ground up almond shells, ferpetesake.
--
"Keep your ass behind you"
vladimir a t mad scientist com
On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 08:56:06 -0800, mp wrote:

How do you get her to hold still?
--
"Keep your ass behind you"
vladimir a t mad scientist com

I got 4 of those Bessey clamps Lee Valley had on sale a while back.
WOW! 21 hits in a half day on what I thought was a good idea, but I had a feeling it might stir things up a bit. Sorry if I caused you EPA guys to get fired up. I didn't mean to cause such a fuss, but I thought it was a good idea. I do use gloves when using Gorrilla Glue, but I still always manage a few black spots on my skin someplace, and it looks really bad when I have to go out in public afterwards. When I found out how good a small amount of acetone removed the spots I thought that you guys would appreciate knowing about it. I never suggested that anyone should take a bath in acetone.
--
Charley

"mp" < snipped-for-privacy@123.com> wrote in message
I suggested someone use methanol once for shellac solvent and a similar phenomenon occurred.
Some people don't know how to interpret a MSDS and blow things WAY out of proportion.
As long as you don't take a bath in your solvents or drink them and use them in a well ventilated area you will be OK.

Good thing you didn't suggest ethanol - that stuff is _proven_ to cause liver problems in excessive quantities.

Exactly. Or the "it sounds similar, so it's equally hazardous" thinkers.
Dave Hinz wrote:

Those would be the <non>-thinkers, methinks... :(

Some of us appreciate the tip. I 've never use Gorilla Glue, b ut I have used spray urethane and had the black sots. I'm not adverse to a little acetone on a rag to clean up.

If you have to go out and find you're all out of acetone, try some morticians makeup. It hides those spots really well.
Yea, right! Mortician supplies are the LAST things that I'll have in stock around here.
Don't you guys have things to build, wood to cut, stains to apply? I've got plenty to do, so I'm outta here. Go swimming in acetone or formaldehyde for all I care.
--
Charley

"mp" < snipped-for-privacy@123.com> wrote in message

Interesting.
Lew Hodgett wrote:

Wrong. _Chronic_ exposure to _high_ _concentrations_ of acetone _can_ lead to liver problems. It is not the inevitable result of getting a little on your skin once in a while.
Now, you may be one of those who believes that all exposure should be avoided. In the case, never, ever lose weight, because acetone is one of the natural products of fat metabolism.

Unless of course one is allergic to latex.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate

Okay, nitrile, then.
--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 13:02:27 -0500, "J. Clarke"

Use Nitrile gloves. They are better anyway.
Tim Douglass
http://www.DouglassClan.com
Tim Douglass wrote:

And then the glove gets stuck to the project, tears, you get glued to the glove, and guess what, you get out the acetone anyway.
Never had that happen to you? Just wait.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate

In that case, Need your furniture stripped? I can help.
If thats the case than I should be dead. Acetone is NOT that bad for you unless you are bathing in it.
I get acetone on my hands 5 days a week.

It was somewhere outside Barstow when Lew Hodgett
That's a statement beyond the misleading and bordering on the plain dumb wrong.
_Vodka_ "causes liver problems", as does beer.
Of all the workshop solvents you're likely to encounter, then acetone is just about the most benign. Its liver toxicity, both acute and chronic, is far below that of even white spirit.
If acetone does have a liver hazard, it's that it has long been known to have a synergistic effect with some other solvents - trike is hard on the liver, but in combination with acetone it's much worse.
A reasonable view: http://www.ccohs.ca/oshanswers/chemicals/chem_profiles/acetone/health_ace.html